2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering/Front End Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:51 PM
nmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering/Front End Clunk

Search was already used

ive got a clunk that i notice when turning , when the passenger side tire goes over a curb, and when i let off the brake when i leave a light. i know hteres some play int he shaft and ill hopefully be able to get that borgenson shaft as a replacement.

someone had mentioned a "fix" with a bracket and zip ties. anyone have a picture of what this fix looks like?

also, if there is anything else that could possibly be causing the problem, i would love to crawl under the truck today and take a look.

there did seem to be some play in the track bar i think, but it seemed to be more ont he drivers side and the clunking in the front end seems to only happen on the right side.

been chasing this for 2 weeks now.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Steering/Front End Clunk

How many miles are on the truck? I am thinking ball joints, but I could be wrong.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:52 PM
nmason
Veteran

i have thought about replaing ball joints as well. im somewhere around 190000km on the truck. new front springs, new front linkage, newer shocks. if you check ball joints by checking to see if there is any play int hem, i cant get them to budge.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

I have a similar problem. In my case its more like a constant knocking on the drivers side when driving over speed bumps and cracks and variations in the road. I only noticed this after I replaced my shocks. I checked all the bolts for the shocks and they are all tight and I grease the suspension regularly. I have only 29,000 miles on my truck, could it be the ball joint?

Old 10-18-2006, 04:00 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always eliminate the easy stuff first......ball joints. I have a 95", and I can tell ya that for some reason, and I think it's just physics, my truck will demolish a set of shock bushings in the top/threaded stud end of the shock.

Oh well, good luck.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:02 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

I've got the same clunk and have a little play in my track bar frame side joint. You might want to check that too.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:23 PM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

Check both your shock mount bolts, this can cause the noise you described. I've had trouble with mine backing off from time to time.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
timwag2001
All Star

ive got a clunk in my front end when im coming to a stop... doesnt sound like your problem, but you could check your ujoint in the front axle. that's my problem.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 PM
nmason
Veteran

ive yet to check the shock mount bolts. started raining today. ive got it going to my mechanic tomorrow after an appointment at the dealer for a couple recalls. hes just gonna check what may be loose and tighten anything he can. checked his notes on my file and apparently i need a right side ball joint, but we will see tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Twinsfan85

Hey just reviving this one. I read about this zip tie fix all the time but I can't seem to figure out exactly what it is. If anyone has done this and can take a pic it would be much appreciated

Quick Reply: Steering/Front End Clunk