2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Pump PITAth

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel Pump PITAth

Have a friend who works for the company that makes the fuel pumps and pressure regulators for the Dodge trucks. He finds a pump in the dumpster (brand new) and ships it to me. I couldn't use it because it was missing the pigtail to adapt from the 4-straight pin single rows to my 6-pins double row connector. Went to the dealer and they couldn't source an adapter. So, I find a pump on E-Bay and order it. It came in yesterday but this one has an opening for a rollover valve [:@] What the hell is this crap? My truck didn't have a rollover valve on the old pump. I searched online and can't find one, so I am guessing I have to go to the dealer. Is this rollover valve supposed to be connected to something? I've been seeing recall notices where they would be replaced because of venting to the charcoal canister. This is getting really old. My truck is ready to get started, and I can't because of the ****ing fuel pumps!

Oh, and yes, the new one had the adapter. The problem is that the "old" pump only reads between half-tank and three-quarters when the float is raised all the way. [:-]

Old 10-23-2006, 03:28 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pump PITAth

why didnt you just get one from Napa? mine was $160 bux. why are you messing with an e-bay pump? for all the trouble your going thru, it would have been far easier to get one and put it in already.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

why didnt you just get one from Napa? mine was $160 bux. why are you messing with an e-bay pump? for all the trouble your going thru, it would have been far easier to get one and put it in already.
I agree. I'm learning in the Dodge world, whereas I know all the "to go" places in the VW world.

Anyway, what's the story behind this rollover valve? It is referenced in the Haynes manual, but nothing more is stated. How do you know I wouldn't have ended up with one like that from Napa?

I just checked NAPA online. The fuel pump assy for a Dodge isn't $160 -- try over $250. And the picture of the module they have looks EXACTLY like the one I got from E-Bay. It has the damned rollover valve!! I've been searching the Field Service Manual as well, and it shows both front and rear rollover valves. My truck and tank are not equipped with the rollover valves! WTF?? [:'(][:@]

Old 10-23-2006, 02:01 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

well, when I got mine (remember mine was a 2000) it was $160.

have you looked at the wiring diagram to see what the differences are between the 6 pin & 4 pin setups? not sure what that would tell you or help you since you'd still have to come up with a connector for it.

here's a thought, could someone have spliced in the wiring that you have thus removing the rollover valve in your truck? maybe the pump is from an older model truck?

Old 10-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend

OK, I see some of the confusion here. Let me sort out the details:
1) I got a pump from a friend who works at the company that makes the pump and the regulators. It was missing the pigtail adapter.
2) I bought a pump off of E-Bay (Item 160041838046). This pump has the adapter BUT has a provision for the rollover valve. My tank does not have any provisions for rollover valves.
3) I installed the pigtail adapter from pump #2 and installed it on pump #1. I tested the fuel gauge reading on pump #1, and it would not move above the 3/4 mark when the float arm was in the raised position. Pump #2 does register the proper readings on the fuel gauge when the arm is raised/lowered.

I sat down last night, just pissed. I *finally* figured out how to dismantle the top of the fuel pump from pump #1. There is a clip that holds the hose from the bottom of the pump assy to the pressure regulator. I have located a source for that clip along with the tool to install it. I am going to remove the top assy from pump #2 and install the top assy from pump #2 onto pump #1. That should put me in business. I also noted there is a filter deep inside the pump. I will post some pictures for all to see. It looks like Dodge has a screen at the bottom of the pump, an internal filter, and then the regulator, which acts as a third stage.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

oh NOW I get it... (Fry on Futurama)... sorry I think I missed it somewhere in your earlier posts.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump PITAth