2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rough idle, backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
nitsujfl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle, backfiring

Well recently my truck has been running like a dog ... did a tune up on it about a month ago, and it was running great again. All of sudden the other morning, it was backfiring, and really missing bad. My first thought was an electronic issue with the distributor, then maybe something fuel related. I ruled out fuel after awhile just because the pump primes, and the truck always starts no problem. Is this a common issue? Or does this issue sound correct? Also how much of a pita is it to r&r and sync the new distributor ... and finally, what are some suggestions on what to buy to do the change. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: rough idle, backfiring

when you did your tune up did you swap out the 02 sensors? they could be shot. also check the crank shaft sensor. these could malfunction and not throw a code.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 PM
nitsujfl

i didnt touch the o2's, however when i started it this evening, all my lights on the dash were on ... and when i moved it into the garage, i didnt have a speedo? wth is going on lol. i dont think the 2 are related, but wow. ill start with the o2's and crank sensor, and go from there. the truck has about 110 on it, and never has gotten a new distributor.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Matt Harwood
Professional

I'm putting in my vote for O2 sensors. A few weeks ago, I replaced the entire ignition system, from distributor to plugs, and it started stuttering and backfiring and nearly died several times. It only happened at lights and at idle--all other times, it ran fine. I finally took it to a dealer and had them pull codes--the front O2 was shorted and the heater circuit dead. A new O2 sensor and it runs great again.

Backfiring suggested ignition to me, too. But I'll bet a nickel its the O2 sensor. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: rough idle, backfiring