2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for your thoughts on an 01 with a V10

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for your thoughts on an 01 with a V10

I have my eye on a 01 2500 long bed with the V10 in it. This truck caught my eye because it is all black, really clean and only has 40k miles on it. However, I have no knowledge or experience with the V10's. One of my concerns is how is the gas mileage going to compare to 5.9? My assumption is it will be lower, but what are people actually experiencing with these?

How about the motors? What are the problems with the motors/known issues?

Here is a pic of the truck:

Old 10-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Aperture_Disaster
Default RE: Looking for your thoughts on an 01 with a V10

I think you will find you'll get about 12.4 miles to the gallon all the time. Empty or loaded it’s the same it seems.

With my truck i have had problems with the following:
1. CAD (central axle disconnect) - found it was a vacuum leak in the rubber lines from the axle.
2. My o2 sensors 3 of the four. - 2 upstream and one in the cat.
3. Replace wiper fluid bottle - due to fluid level sender unit leak
4. Replace ball joints and track bar. - possibly cause by a tow truck driver(AAA covered this one)
5. Replace harmonic balancer.- left me stranded somewhere in Nevada lol.
6. Replace IAC - Chasing the next problem (number 7)
7. Right now truck is at the stealership getting a new PCM (I’ve been chasing a idle/surging problem) I will update my other post when this ordeal is over.
8. Pending Poor heater Performance. – worse than normal.

That being said, I love my truck and when its running it runs well and reliable. The truck also has 183,000+ miles on it so it is expected to have some problems. I love the power from my truck. Friend of mine has the 01 2500 with 5.9 and there is no comparison if you are going with a gas motor. Sometimes I wish I got the Cummins though. But I love my truck.

Try searching posts by theburningrom he also has a v10.

The Picture looks nice. If the price is right…

Hope any of this helps. Good luck in your Choice.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:35 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

The asking price is $14,000 for this truck. I will definately be talking that down as much as possible.

Any other thoughts?

Old 10-24-2006, 05:02 PM
dyeo_85

i have a 96 ram with the v10 and it is awsome. tons of power i have 35 inch tire and spin them like nothing.. it tows great too..as for as problems with the egine i havent had one problem with it that i can remember and im hard on the engine i tow and go offroading the works. it can take what ever you throw at it. i have about 140 on mine. i have gone throw 2 tranys tho. the 1st lasted about 130 miles and the other 10 lol but there was a milfunction and was replaced i say get it if you want a gas engine with lots of power with no mods

Quick Reply: Looking for your thoughts on an 01 with a V10