2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:50 PM
2001ram_or/t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift questions

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I have been looking through all the posts, but I still have a few questions about my truck. I have a 2001 1500 4x4 5.2L auto with 3.92s and 285/75r16 procomp x-terrains.. I've already done some of the easy stuff- flowmaster exhaust, pacesetter headers, 14" k&n open element air filter w/ flow through top, hypertech programer, msd 8.5mm wires, champion truck plugs, and 180 degree thermostat. Electric fans are going on next month. 1st question: fastman tb- worth it or not? 2nd question: viper rocker arms-yes or no? 3rd question: i have a tranmission temp gauge. I saw there were two plugs on the passenger side of the transmission. Should i use one of these or splice into a cooler line, and if I do this, which one? And lastly: I bought 3" skyjacker coils and edelbrock shocks. Can i install the lift in my driveway ( i've done all my other work myself, i have a little more than basic skills) or should i have a shop do it. I already checked and it's going to be about $300 for it, and i'd rather spend that on more performance, not install prices. Also are ther any other mods you would recommend? I use it mostly for mild off-road because its my daily driver. Thanks for your guys help, and look forward to hearing from you all. Pics up soon

Old 10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
dillonjm
Veteran
Default RE: Lift questions

I'll answer what I have read about and have experience with. The rest I leave to the guys with more knowledge.

Lift:
Do the lift yourself. It's easy and not worth paying $300 for, IMHO. Just make sure to align it before you tear up your tires (lifting will throw off your alignment).

TB:
The general consensus is that the fastman TB's are worth the money. (It's on my to do list as well).

Old 10-25-2006, 06:26 PM
2001ram_or/t

Thanks for your answers dillonjm. Do you or anyone have a diagram or instructions? I'm currently in Iraq getting ready to come home for a while so I'm trying to get all my parts in order before I do it. I appreciate everyone's help.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:54 PM
hawkeyedodge
Professional

Fastman is def. worth it IMHO!! Make sure you let Dan know youre a member of DF when you order it, you get a nice discount!

Old 10-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Tani1500
Champion

welcome to the forum. the fastman is a great mod and is very well praised here. as for the lift. if you got 3inch skyjacker coils, im assuming thats without control arms? its very easy to do yourself and ill walk you through the hole process. basicly all your gunna need to do is jack your truck up kinda high. get two good jack stands under the frame. unbolt the swaybar, put jack under the axle. unbolt shocks and lower the axle down. the coils should unseat themselfs. then the put the shocks back in and the new coils. bolt it all back together. i think theres even instruction on skyjackers website. if your useing the stock control arms your alighment might not even be affected.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:28 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Before I answer the question that noone has answered yet, let me extend a huge thank you for defending our country and making it safe for my kids and everyone in the USA. You're a hero in my eyes.

Now for the tranny temp sensor question.
A lot of people have installed sensors there and it is a easy place to put one. But there isnt always tranny fluid flowing in those ports. They are test ports. So most of the readings are case tempetures. Which is ok but can be off a bit from actually fluid tempetures.
I installed an actuall tranny temp sensor manifold and installed it on the exit line of the tranny. This is the only correct accurate place to get tranny temp.

Quick Reply: Lift questions