2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grinding/Squealing Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 AM
NickV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding/Squealing Noise?

I was on here a few weeks ago showing off my new 99 ram turbo diesel. Well yesterday we ended up going back and getting an 01 Ram 5.9L 1500 with lower miles. I noticed a grinding sound coming from the driver's side front wheel area. It sounds almost like something is grinding in the brakes. It is half grind half squeal. But mainly a higher pitched grinding sound like aluminum on steel. I know, hard to explain a sound over a forum but I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of what to look at to fix this. I am good with working on my vehicles when I know what is wrong, but horrible at diagnosing problems, so any suggestions on what to look at would help!

It goes away and comes back. Usually starts up after a hard turn and grinds for a bit then goes away.

btw, can't bring it into the shop until financing is finished with and they said it may take up to 3 weeks to finalize so I figured i'd do it myself and nobody has to know!

Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 PM
NickV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Grinding/Squealing Noise?

Hmm. The dust plate was touching the rotor and there is a neat little groove all around about 1/2" in from the outside. I bent the dust plate out and the problem went away! I will do the brakes and if turn the rotors asap!

Quick Reply: Grinding/Squealing Noise?