2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Get This Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:19 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get This Crap!

So I have the 2 inch leveling kit on the front of the truck. I also have the high intensity xenon headlight bulbs. I was driving home on tuesday night, in the back country roads by us, had the brights on, then another car came over the hill, so i switched back to low beams. well, that car was a cop. He pulled me over because my lights were "way too bright son". I explained that they were the brighter bulbs, and that my low beams were on. He said he saw my low beams were on cuz he saw me switch off the highs, but said that they were still way too bright and could blind oncoming traffic. So i said i would fix them first thing in the morning. well just to make sure i did that, he decided to write me an R&R. So now i had to pay 10 bucks to the dealer for them to twist a little screw on either side and sign off on the ticket so i dont have to pay the fine. absolutely rediculous. I wanted to tell that guy to quit being such a little baby and get a real car thats more than a few inches off the ground.

So if you have not checked the level of your low beams, do it. because you cannot sign off on an R&R on your own, at least not in ottawa county michigan. I always thought you could just bring it to the station and they would say it was ok, but apparently you cant do that here. it has to be signed off on by a dealer/service place.

so pissed!

Old 10-29-2006, 04:25 PM
whiteram00
Captain
Default RE: Get This Crap!

what type of lights do you have,an whats the watts of them

Old 10-29-2006, 05:19 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

I would be so mad....little things bother me!

Old 10-29-2006, 05:23 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

just xenon replacement bulbs from a auto store??

i do believe it's because of your 2" lift in the front. other wise if you had lifted the back 2" to match the angle would still have been stock.

that is a lot of boloney. he should have just given you a warning for that.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
kstroeher
Professional

You may not want to hear from another cop but let me just say this much...

It sounds like what you got WAS a warning, much like what we call a "courtesy ticket" or a "fix-it ticket". I've never seen or heard of anywhere that REQUIRES you to go to a dealership for repairs and, quite frankly, I can't see how they could possibly do that. Lots of folks do their own work and avoid dealerships for whatever reason. If you fixed it yourself and they wouldn't acknowledge it...so what? If it's fixed it's no longer a legitimate reason to stop you. Period.

If I received one of those things and they said I HAD to get repairs done at a dealership I'd tell him forget it, just write a real ticket and I'll be on my way.

Sorry it happened to you but if you raised up the front it sounds like your lights probably WERE too bright. At least now they are adjusted correctly!

Drive safe!

Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional

yea, they are just the sylvannia xenon replacement bulbs. thats exactly what did it was the leveling kit, threw of the angle just enough. I did get a fix-it ticket, but there is a fine that needs to be paid if its not fixed in a week or something like that. he told me i had to go to the dealer/service place to get it fixed cuz it had to be signed off on by a professional. whatever, its only ten bucks, but still pretty irritating.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

so he nailed you for the headlights but not the driving lights you've got on there?

Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 AM
ramchrgr88
Professional

dont use the driving lights when im on the road...only when on a trail or at the dunes.

Quick Reply: Get This Crap!