2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

These brakes are making me rip my hair out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These brakes are making me rip my hair out!

I will try to make this as short as possible so here goes. I purchased a set of Brembo drilled rotors and Hawk HPF pads for my truck. I installed them myself with no problems. After a few miles I started to develop a squeal so I took it to my local Big-O tires where I have had brakes done before to have it checked out. They told me that the pads that I installed were going to make noise because they were ferro-carbon. So I asked what they reccomended and they said to replace them with semi-metallic, so I told them to do it. In the end they ended up putting a non-die swirl on my rotors which I was not happy with but told me it would eventually wear smooth. From that day on the brakes would grind when stopping, but no squeal. After 600 miles of grinding I took it back to complain. The rotors did not even begin to smooth out and the pads were chewed up. They replaced the pads with Mopar pads instead of the Bendix pads and a couple of hundred miles later the grinding is still there. Took it back this time to make them replace my rotors they destroyed. After threatning to file a complaint with the BBB, they replaced the rotors with standard rotors and replaced the pads again. Now since then, I have been getting a constant metallic whine coming from the drivers side. This noise is there weather the brake is applied or not and only stops when the wheel is not spinning. WTF!!! I am so fed up with these brakes. Does anybody have any idea on what could be causing this noise or what I could check to fix it? My next thought is to take it to another Big-O store to get a second opinion and/or warranty the parts out. The dodge dealership was no help, they just blamed it on the pads but offered no advice. Sorry for the lengthy post, any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: These brakes are making me rip my hair out!

my only suggestion would be to get a set of powerstop pads. put a light coat of grease over the areas that come in contact with the caliper so they slide easy and put it back together.

I had a set of powerstop cross drilled rotors & powerstop pads and they were awesome. much improved braking and no squeel. IDK what material the pads were but I never had a problem with them... on 2 trucks, my 2000 & my wifes 2002 dak.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

Turns out it wasn't the brakes this time. Took it back to the shop and they put it on the lift and found out the u-joint on my front driveshaft is bad and causing the whining noise. They sprayed it with wd-40 and the noise went away for a while. I was told it would have to be rebuilt with a cost of between $350-400. Just what I wanted to hear right?

Old 10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
SaneMadMan

All that trouble for a silly little U-joint.

Quick Reply: These brakes are making me rip my hair out!