2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 2500 idle surge when warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 PM
baddodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 2500 idle surge when warm

5.9l auto 4x4-only one code for evap purge solenoid. This and the evap is all I need to fix-alredy did intake gaskets and cleaned TB. Truck runs fine until it reaches closed loop, then it dies or idle will surge up and down. It will idle fine in reverse, but when put in anything else it dies. Some scanner readings-at times the coolant temp will be 194 f and IAT will be 142 f with upstream reading at rich and o2s at .06volts and .10volts, then it will jump to coolant temp 30 f and IAT 334 f upsteam exhaust will show ??? up stream o2s will be 4.38volts and downstream will be 0.0volts. Any help will be much appriciated, need to fix or ELSE??????? Might be seeing a FORD in the DRIVE

Old 11-03-2006, 01:26 AM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: 99 2500 idle surge when warm

Don't get a Ford unless you like having problems like this. I'm not sure what is causing this, I would check make sure the terminals on the computer are connected tightly. The readings from the sensors you mentioned are pretty strange. Normal 02 sensor operating voltage should be between .0 and 1.0 volts but when the truck is running no 02 sensor should show a reading of .0. Usually it is atleast .02, that is at it's leanest. Do the voltage values cycle constantly when you watch them with a scan tool? Seeing as how screwed up the values are I would replace your purge solenoid, clear the codes and see what happens. I'm thinking you have a computer problem because it seems strange for those sensors to be that far off. The only other thing I can think of is checking to make sure that all the sensors are securely pulgged in since you mentioned having the intake manifold off.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:11 PM
baddodge
Default RE: 99 2500 idle surge when warm

Removed and Replaced PCM-Reprogramed and now its good to go

Quick Reply: 99 2500 idle surge when warm