2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 lacking power??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
wotansmopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 lacking power??

Hi, I have a 1999 V10 2500 sport recently purchased with about 154,000 miles on it. Gas milage I get 5.5 (aggressive driving) and about 7.5 normal. The engine, from what I read, is suppose to be pretty powerful compared to the 5.9L. I raced my buddies 1500 5.9L reg cab, long bed and both trucks accellerated the same with little difference. Now I figure there is something wrong with my truck since it has a hard time accellerating/ cant burn the tires from takeoff (also sounds like its working too hard). Last week the truck started bogging down, replaced the spark plugs, didnt bog down but missed alot, then replaced the spark plug wires..running fine till it bogged down again once this week (shut it off, started again and ran fine). I dont know what its problem is and why it lacks the power its suppose to have but im suspecting the ignition coils going bad. Does anyone know what could be the issue / anyone else have experienced this problem?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:18 PM
mattbookpro
Default RE: V10 lacking power??

I don't know what the problem could be because I'm definitely not car savy. But, I can attest to the symptoms. I got a 98 sport v10 103,000 miles. I have the same results. No smoking tires, and accelerates about like my previous Subaru Wagon. I'm impressed that it can accelerate the same as my subaru and weighs about twice as much, but I expected to really "feel the juice" more. My gas mileage, however, is better than what you're reporting. 10 City, 13 Hwy.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:46 AM
dillonjm
Veteran

Yeah, something is up. My 5.9 QC 1500 can get the tires loose off of a dead stop and I can burn em with a little brake action. If your v10 can't outperform that, something is wrong. Esp considering the much higher torque and hp numbers that engine puts out.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 AM
BigBass

Well I know mine will put you in the back seat when you stomp on it.Everything was newly put in mine like dist,wires,plugs,coil so you did the wires and plugs try the others and see then.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:25 PM
wotansmopar
Rookie

Ya I think I'm gonna try replacing the coil packs first since I investigated the new spark plugs I put in and there is carbon fouling along the ring of all of them with some half and half so thats hopefully the only problem. Thanks for posting!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:26 AM
wotansmopar
Rookie

Well the bogging is not the ignition as i found out tonight checking under my truck while its idling rough..one of the cats was glowing red on the outlet end with a ring of red aroung the middle so thats clogged but would that cause the lack of power when its not bogging down? and why would the cat get clogged once in a while??

Quick Reply: V10 lacking power??