2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny up a creek without a paddle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 PM
scbcman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny up a creek without a paddle?

'99 Dodge 1500, 5.9, 46RE, 82,000 miles. 2 inch lift, 265/75/r16's, FIPK

Showing code P0740 TCC code. Locks me out of O/D when pulling hard up hills. Will drive fine on flat level surfaces and on interstate for hundreds of miles. Will throw this code in about 10 miles on hills doing 55. After locking me out of O/D the O/D off light will go off after about 20-30 minutes of normal driving and I can cruise fine again.

Over the last five months, my trans. temp light has come on two or three times. Once when pulling a very heavy trailer (I was asking for it that time)! Then it came on while parked on the roadside during a firecall (I'm a volly firefighter), and today it came on while driving hard. I immediately turned it off, restarted it and the trans temp light went off. Fluid probably needs changed as it has a slight burnt smell, but not bad at all.

My questions...
1. Could the 0740 code be just a bad sensor/selenoid?
2. Could the temp. sensor be bad?
3. Can the O/D-TCC problem be related to the temp problem.
4. Am I about ready to have a big bill for a new tranny/Torque Converter?
5. If I do need a new tranny, can I bolt on a 48RE instead of putting another 46RE on it?

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Tranny up a creek without a paddle?

I would change that fluid ASAP! Use ATF +4 and a new filter. Bucking up now for the ATF +4 will save you down the road. Also you might want to install a large trans cooler since your having some overheating problems. The lines are probably gunked up blocking flow. This is a weekend job that will take 3 hours for somebody whos never done it before and will save the life of your tranny. As for the questions:

1. This is very possible
2. Might be temp sensor, but my money is that is is actually overheating.
3. Probably not, but maybe.
4. Not if you do what I said above, change fluid with ATF +4, trans cooler, ect.
5. Not to sure about this one, I'm sure bolt patterns are the same but not sure about the input shafts.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:08 PM
mopar98
All Star

Sounds to me your over heating I'm with Socha-62 change the fluid and install tranny cooler. If you already have one put a bigger one in.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
scbcman

OK. I changed the fluid with ATF +4 and filter. The pan was clean and the magnet only had a minimal amount of scum on it. Like I said earlier, fluid was slightly burnt and needed replaced. Pressure was good on the lines, don't think the coolers are gunked up, I have a factory cooler and a large aftermarket cooler installed. Driving home, it overheated again.

I think it's the Torque Convertor Clutch. As a posted earlier, I am getting a P0740 code. I am going to have a tranny guy I trust look at it. Determine whether its a problem with the solenoids or the clutch itself. Any other ideas?

Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 AM
scbcman

Got my truck back on Friday. The tranny guy I sent it to said the TCC solenoid was bad and would replace, and thought the Torque Converter might need replaced as well. He gave me an estimate of $800 max. I trust him and let him do it. After replacing those things, on the way home (about 45 miles) the trans temp light comes on. (He had also replaced the temp. sensor and sensor harness while he was in there earlier). I took it back to him and said it might be the OD. He pulled the tranny and the OD planetary gear was completely shot. It was only by the grace of God that more hadn't been screwed up by it. He rebuilt my transmission while he was at it. That was the bad news.

The good news was that he's honest and a man of his word. I got all that for $800, because that's what he quoted me as a worst case. Between parts and shop time, I doubt he made a nickel. I thanked him, thanked the Lord and am driving fine again! He also gave me a 24,000, 12 month warranty which he said he would also reasonably extend if a problem arises.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

atleast there are some good people left in this world yet, thank god ur truck is fixed so you can continue your vol. fireman service in style with the truck

Quick Reply: Tranny up a creek without a paddle?