2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

choice to make: programmer or fastman

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choice to make: programmer or fastman

so with all the news about hypertech lately about it making the engine ping with some mods on it, I've pretty much come down to either fastman or hypertech (never really considered superchips due to req of premium gas). So basically the hypertech will only help me with the option of the power tuning with 87 octane, as it can't calibrate my speedo for tire size. So its down to a fastman tb (50mm or 52mm, I think the 52mm is the one for 5.9's that don't tow) or a hypertech (with the risk of making my engine ping, or ping more, i dont know what the noise its making is to this day.) Honestly I think from all I've read, you can't go wrong with a fastman. K&N FIPK GenII + Fastman 50mm + Magnaflow high flow cat + flowmaster 40 delta flow dual 2.25" out = pretty good on paper. I'd just like some last minute opinions because I've been getting asked what I want for christmas :P, I'm leaning towards the fastman.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain
Default RE: choice to make: programmer or fastman

Ripto the Superchip has three program settings (87 octane, towing and performance) The performance and towing require 91 octane the 87 octane is obviously for 87 octane. As for pinging there's ways to combat it. I haven't got around to buying a fastman yet so I can't compare on whether the programmer or the fastman is the better choice, but the programmer will work as a code reader. It does allows me to change for tire size on my '98. With it doing three things it was a good investment for me, but I picked it up off ebay for $200. I plan on getting a fastman so either is a good choice.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 AM
ripto
Captain

Oh i was under the impression superchips didnt have an 87 octane option.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:25 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah the superchip has the same settings as hypertech. if superchip required preamum i would have reconsidered it myself and got a mopar pcm

oh and i dont know about the hypertech but superchip can adjust speedo for tire size

Old 11-11-2006, 12:28 AM
ripto
Captain

yea supposedly the hypertech can only if the truck has a kelsey-hayes abs brake controller. what about the superchips, does it require that also?

Old 11-11-2006, 12:30 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

for what? the speedo adjustment? it will on any truck it works on

oh and also i dont think the superchips cause as much pining as the hypertech...i have the superchip in mine and no pinning

Old 11-11-2006, 12:34 AM
ripto
Captain

yea the speedo adjustment, thats what hypertech told me at least. I'll take a look at them.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:15 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well.. if it wer eme i would have went with the fastman instead of the programmer if i didnt need to change my speedo so bad.. even WITH colder plugs colder tstat 93 octane and a fixed plenum i still ping under WOT .. SLIGHT ping but still pings.. i think im gonna check into the flash for the pcm and see if i can still use my programmer on a flashed pcm JUST to change tire size etc etc etc.. we will see i geuss!

Old 11-11-2006, 01:18 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

whats this flash ive been hearing about...only flash i know of is the death flash and well i hope noone would want that lol

Old 11-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

ORIGINAL: ripto

yea supposedly the hypertech can only if the truck has a kelsey-hayes abs brake controller. what about the superchips, does it require that also?
I'm assuming Superchip requires the same brake controller. My 98 was built in late '97 and I can adjust my speedo. IIRC you said your truck was buit in early '98 so unless they were installing different part at different factories I would be led to beleive you should be able to adjust your speedo. Of course I don't know for sure I'm just speculating.

Quick Reply: choice to make: programmer or fastman