2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 1500 left side 1 1/2 inches lower than right

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:06 PM
iplayintraffic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 1500 left side 1 1/2 inches lower than right

is there a frequent problem with weak springs or breaking springs. previous owner drove like a car. not even a scratch in hitch paint or bed. the left side of the truck is an inch and a half lower than the right at the wheelwell and the body is straight. any ideas on what this could be caused by? its 4 wheel drive with a 360

Old 11-18-2006, 09:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 97 1500 left side 1 1/2 inches lower than right

my 01 is sagged about 1 inch on left. i guess its just the added weight of the driver, the gas tank (mostly) and the drivers side of the tool box having most of the stuff in it. some people will 'add a leaf' to stiffen it up. you can replace your springs (or your left only), or you can take them off and carry them to a spring shop that will take them apart and heat and re-arch each.

my ride is stiff enough already when unloaded and i don't want to make the ride harder, but i would like to level it up and be able to carry a load of firewood without so much sag. here's a real easy spring adder, but they recommend installing so there is a one inch gap between frame and rubber spring for best unloaded ride, so that wouldn't level it. another option of their install is to add additional rubber spaces to take up the one inch gap. this would level it, but i'm not sure what it will do to ride quality.
http://www.timbren.com/

on my old chev truck it wouldn't carry anything w/o sagging, so i searched the junkyard and got the rear leafs from a van that had the same length and width, also got a long set of ubolts off something else. i took my springs apart and added the 3 from the other pack. it would really carry a load but it rode like a dog.

anyone have any experience or thoughts on it.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:12 PM
iplayintraffic

I've checked it in all conditions. with almost no fuel, since the tanks on the left, and nothing in it. I just had a meyers plow mounted to it and the mount is lower on the left too. a little there could in my opinion wear the plow uneven also. anybody know of a cheap place to buy new springs? bumper to bumper here in wisconsin wants $375 each side. the cheapest place I've found was $230 each side.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM
mopar98
All Star

U could buy a set of helpers and maybe airbags

Quick Reply: 97 1500 left side 1 1/2 inches lower than right