2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

my 96 trans shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:19 PM
96ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 96 trans shifting

Hello all,
I just joined and would like some info.
I have a 96 ram and my wife told me today that when she drove up the driveway (which is build like a boat ramp ) that the tranny slipped. I found low fluid and topped that off, but still seems to slip. Also noticed that when I engaged the O/D it didnt make any difference at highway speeds and was running high RPM before I switched it as if O/D was already on. Shifting at low speeds found as if didnt have 1st gear. IE, driving slow and downshifting to 2 ok, downshifted to 1 and no change. Is it that I wasnt shifting into high gear and always running in 2nd gear?? Are these tied together somehow and if so where? What is my corrective action for something like this?? Any help would be great! thanks for the replies!
Mike

Old 11-23-2006, 09:02 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: my 96 trans shifting

You said you checked, and topped off the tranny fluid. Did you check it in neutral? You must check it in neutral. They say hot also. But if you suspect it's low, and the tranny is slipping, you can check it cold. Just add enough till you are 1/4 to 1/2 up the cross hatched area. Work with that level and warm the tranny up.

How many miles? Is your tc locking and unlocking after adding fluid?

Give us what you can.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Ram Man 98
Rookie

Is your tranny fluid and filter "recent"?? Are the tranny adjustments up to date?

Old 11-23-2006, 10:57 PM
96ram

Yes, I did wait till it was hot and it's now all the way up to full. Also filled and tested in Neutral. As far as the fluid up to date .... not really! Its a bit over due, but this should not happen overnight. 120k and 20k overdue. Now, I had to add 1qt which is quite a bit! I usually service my stuff myself but my work has had me traveling and many hours on the job. No excuse but I let it slip away on me. Could there be something to the amount I added that it needs somehow to be a computer reset or something?? I believe that the T/C is either locked up or not engaging at all. I know that sounds stupid but the t/c shift should have done something at high speed but didnt change as I wrote in the first post. And... the low speed... well, that should have stalled if it was locked or at the least shuttered when slowing to stop, but it dont. I guess I dont know what it is, and thats why I posted! It just dont make sence?! Seems like from a stop it starts off in second gear and never going all the way down to first at the stop. At high speed, still high RPM's like not shifting up. I just dont know??!??! Frustrating!!
Mike

Old 11-23-2006, 11:41 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could always try putting some Lucas tranny fluid in it. that stuff has brought back to life 2 power steering pumps and the tranny on a 91 lumina that was completly toasted. new filter and flush might help also.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:38 PM
96ram

Hi folks,
update on the tranny. Well I couldnt find anything wrong so I had taken it to a hi quality trans shop and they had checked all pressures and stuff and all looked good. they had believed that they had located the problem in the wiring. They had fixed that and the problem still came back. they have had this truck since Monday and just called to tell me its done. The root cause was wiring but it was under the hood in the relay box. when the truck was started the relay would pull in and give the trans a voltage. sometimes this was not happening due to this relay and corrosion on the relay. i didnt know that existed?! Well, long story short the trans is fine and will pick up later today. They had serviced the trans while it was there and over due anyway, $336 later, but better than another trans right!! Thanks for the help and with "all due respect", hope not to talk to you guys for a while!!!! see ya' folks later and thanks a bunch for the reply's! Hope this can help someone in the future!

Quick Reply: my 96 trans shifting