2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cluster illumination (dimmer?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
brute98
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster illumination (dimmer?)

I was installing a CD deck in my truck and now the illumination lights inside the cluster don't work. I pulled the cluster and inspected the bulbs and they appear fine. The fuses (CLUSTER A & B) are fine too. I turned the dimmer too but the lights never came back on. I have a feeling it has something to do with my stereo installation. All other components of the cluster appear to be working (needles, CEL, ABS, etc..). Thanks for any help.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran
Default RE: Cluster illumination (dimmer?)

You could try pulling the deck out and see if your illumination starts working again. The Illumination wire to your deck might be shorting out causing the problem. Did you use a wiring harness when installing the cd player or did you just snip off the factory harness?

Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I agree, pull the headunit back out. I've had mine short out twice and the parking lights and illumination lights don't work. Just make sure all the connections are good and all bare wire is covered up, even the wires not being used.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:51 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you checked the right fuses? Maybe something thru the headlight circuit has blown.

Isin't the illumination wire orange on the Rams, and orange on aftermarket stereos as well?

Good luck.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:56 PM
jm22876
Professional

If you did use a harness...when you were stuffing it back in the dash did u pull a wire or something?(I broke a wire while doing my install)

Old 11-28-2006, 12:03 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

its most likely the illumiation wire on the back of the head unit.. like everyone else is saying, its shorting out.. i blew acouple fuses installing my cd player because of that bare wire

Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 AM
brute98
Professional

After much effort the problem was traced to the headlight switch [&:]. It would not turn on the parking lights anymore or the cluster lights, just the headlights. The switch doesn't look serviceable. For now I just connect some wires to a generic ($7.99) switch and everything works fine.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:35 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you having any other problems with your headlight switch prior to adding the stereo? I wonder if you do have a few wires connected improperly. As much as Dodge headlamp switches come from the factory near capacity, the addition of a stereo should not burn out a dimmer switch. That's why I asked about prior headlight problems.

Just a thought, nothin else.

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

[&:] I still think its a short and now your just bypassing it. My did the same thing, no parking lights front and rear, or illum lights.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:34 PM
brute98
Professional

I'm not counting out that possibility. I ordered a new switch today from the dealership. The price was reasonable. What doesn't convince me it's a short is because I disconnected all the headunit wires completely and the parking lights didn't work.

One thing I should mention is that I had a kill switch installed (connected to the parking lights). I don't know if the mechanic put a relay or not so there's a chance too many amps are going through the switch. However, none of the fuses blew and I have an extra fuse connected to my homemade switch and still, no problems. Time will tell on this one.

Quick Reply: Cluster illumination (dimmer?)