2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:17 AM
quadro
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake lights

I dont know if I'm the only one this has happened to. Twice now I have gotten out of my truck and all the brake lights have still been on. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this. Is there some kind of button on the pedal or something that might be sticking. Its not bad in the dark but its tougher to notice in the day time. It just takes some jiggling of the pedal usually to make them go off.
thanks guys

Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 AM
mattyge
Veteran
Default RE: brake lights

yes i have had this problem before! my problem was the brake pedal wasn't retracting far enough and leaving the switch on i had to lift up on the pedal to make sure the brake light wasn't on, i lubed up the pivot point on the pedal and it has seemed to go away, every now and then i do lift up on the pedal though just to make sure

Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Sometimes the brake light switch goes bad, bit it might be the pedal like said above!

Old 11-28-2006, 04:02 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

I have that problem right now...its the brakelight switch...actually i have the replacement switch sitting right next to me. i just am having a hard time figguring out how to take the harness off of the original switch.

but yea, its the switch. just tap on the backside of the switch. i have to do that every time i hit the breaks now. so, if someone could tell me about this switch's harness again...that would be helpful.
i'd like to think you can just pull it out, but A, it doesnt look like that when looking at the connection on the new switch, and B, it doesnt seem to want to come out.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
quadro
Rookie

does the switch have the spring or whatever incorperated with. it almost seems like the pedal isn't coming all the way back like Mattyge said.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brake light switch has an adjustable plunger on it that is indexed. When you install the new one, have someone who can keep the brake pedal applied. Install the new switch with the plunger fully extended. Then release the brake pedal, easy. Do not let it snap back or the switch can be damaged. As the pedal returns, you will hear "clicks" as the plunger is being set to the correct depth.

As far as removing the connector, mine was a b*tch. I snapped the hasp off to remove mine. I just use a few wraps of quality electrical tape to hold the harness in place on the new switch. It won't go anywhere.

The brake switch has to be turned at a 30 or 45 degree angle (I forget which), to be installed. It's easy.

And most importantly, don't play with the switch plunger. If you pull it out, push it in, pull it out,etc, it will break. It's made to be installed, and set 1 time.

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 PM
quadro
Rookie

thanks alot guys. I know the one time I dont notice it, i'll be looking for someone to jump start my truck

Quick Reply: brake lights