2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Posi unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi unit

I was gonna replace my lsd in my truck because it does not work that well anymore...it will probably be in the summer time (weekend project), should i just buy one of these for cheap...Ebay Posi Unit...or spend the money and buy a new one. Also, how difficult is this, i have never done something like that before, i have all the knowledge to do it, just never done it before because right now i am in college and do not exactly have alot of money...if i did my truck would probably have a big lift with a 408 stroker [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Thanks

Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 PM
kstroeher
Professional
Default RE: Posi unit

That rebuilt Auburn is what I'm contemplating. If I don't do that, I'll probably just replace the stock carrier and stick with the trac-loc.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Nitroman
Rookie

I have seriously been thinking of a Ox Locker. Only thing holding me back is the idea of that cable. It is in a good place to be broken.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:50 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

I dont know how diffacult it is, as I have never done one before, but my guess at the mechanics of the thing... remove tires, breaks, calipers+rotors/drums (idk what these trucks have), axle locks, pull the axles back, take the ring gear, bolt to posi...re install. I KNOW im missing quite a few steps, but from what i recolect thats the basic idea. correct me if im wrong.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM
kstroeher
Professional

I think where things get tricky is setting backlash and such. Screw that up and you just wasted your money.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:22 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: kstroeher

I think where things get tricky is setting backlash and such. Screw that up and you just wasted your money.
+1

Old 12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Sprinks

Gentlemen;
Let me recommend the PowerTrax No Slip Traction System locker by Richmond. My '99' Ram came without the limited-slip, and for years a small patch of ice would have me stuck, so I did a little checking and found that the PowerTrax No Slip Traction System (not the Lock Right) could be installed without having to mess with the backlash and such. I found a brand new one on eBay for less than $250.00 (best price otherwise was $406.00 with shipping). Having never gone into the rear end of my truck, but being somewhat mechanically inclined, I had it installed in two hours! I've since put about 1000 miles on it and the difference is incredible! Quicker acceleration in slippery conditions, took it out in the woods and never put in 4WD, where before I would have had to. Hardly noticeable city driving unless you get on the throttle, that’s when it locks up and you might hear some tire chirp. I'm very pleased and looking for that first winters snow to really put it through the paces.

Great solution on a budget, good luck.

Sprinks

Old 12-05-2006, 07:56 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

go detroit locker or go home

nothing compares

Old 12-05-2006, 08:15 PM
dirty dog
Professional

all you have to do to fix your limited slip in your truck is to have new disk put in

i had to have new ones in my truck last week when i was changing gears in my rearend

Quick Reply: Posi unit