2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

goin up...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: goin up...

ORIGINAL: radwebster

....still with 3.55's my friend runs 39.5's on 3.55's, and he drives 100 miles a day, easy. no issues at all
Then your friend is in denial. If he had 4.88's he would see an enormous difference over 3.55 with those 39's. It's simple mechanical advantage. Besides that, the amount of stress that stock gears combined with tires that big add to the engine and the rest of the drivetrain is just not worth it in my opinion. I'm sure it will get down the road, but not really a smart way to build a rig in my opinion, just a cheap way. But hey, it your rig, so if you like breaking and repairing stuff all the time, then you have a good setup there.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are all of the switches for?

What kind of box did you use?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

kooolness

Old 12-04-2006, 10:02 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So THAT'S what color your truck is ... I've always wondered.

How do you turn that thing? It looks like you've got about 1" before you hit the fender in front of the doors.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:51 AM
radwebster
Captain

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

....still with 3.55's my friend runs 39.5's on 3.55's, and he drives 100 miles a day, easy. no issues at all
Then your friend is in denial. If he had 4.88's he would see an enormous difference over 3.55 with those 39's. It's simple mechanical advantage. Besides that, the amount of stress that stock gears combined with tires that big add to the engine and the rest of the drivetrain is just not worth it in my opinion. I'm sure it will get down the road, but not really a smart way to build a rig in my opinion, just a cheap way. But hey, it your rig, so if you like breaking and repairing stuff all the time, then you have a good setup there.

lets see.... i can listen to the random guy on the internet spewing recycled information that he overheard in another thread and who has 2' of lift and stock tires, or i can see, with my own eyes, a truck this is driven excessively (with 40's and 3.55's) and has not had a problem to date in the last 10 months or so.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 AM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

lets see.... i can listen to the random guy on the internet spewing recycled information that he overheard in another thread and who has 2' of lift and stock tires, or i can see, with my own eyes, a truck this is driven excessively (with 40's and 3.55's) and has not had a problem to date in the last 10 months or so.

first off i though you swapped in 4.10's, sec. what silver said is 100% correct. just because your friend has been lucky doesnt mean its not cause huge amounts of stress on every part of that truck. I can see with my eyes that your an idiot, but that doesnt make it right or completely true. its not recyled information its common knowlege. and what does what his truck has have to do with anything?

Old 12-05-2006, 03:13 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, apparently you would only listen to what I had to say if I too were stupid enough to run 38.5" tires on 5 lug 1/2 ton axles and 3.55 gears. Sorry, I prefer to build my truck using common sense instead of whatever sh*t I can find laying around and think I can bolt on.

This is a public forum you know, so you shouldn't act suprised when you receive both positive and negative comments. I think it's funny you got worked up over my negative comment though, probably because you know i'm right. But who cares, at the end of the day, it is your rig, do whatever you like. I was just posting what I know for a fact to be true.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Ryanshreds

Hey Radwebster, How much lift are you going to get with the shackle reversal? Are they custom made? If so I wouldnt mind the demensions of them. Do you think the shakle reversal would allow me to take out the stock blocks and stay the same hight? Any info on the shackles would be great.
Thanks

Quick Reply: goin up...