2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No start, only clicking

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Maintain
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, only clicking

1994 1500 2wd Auto Reg Cab Long Bed
I did a search, this is the threads that I could find that did not fit my situation correctly.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_364098/tm.htm
https://dodgeforum.com/m_398243/tm.htm

Here's the situation: brand new starter (solenoid included), new battery that has higher CCA then the stock, checked cables, cleaned terminals, cleaned starter contacts. It will turn the engine over about one revolution and then start clicking like it's got a bad starter. It did this last week so I replaced all of the above and it still just clicked with no start. After that Kyle and I took the starter out and reinstalled it. It turned over slightly better, then clicked, then tried it again and it caught and fired up. About 20 restarts later and 5 days.... the truck won't restart. I'm just soooo stumped at the moment. I assume the next best thing would be to replace the terminals? The ground wire coming fromt he starter!? There is no inspection plate on this trans like there is on my ford so I can't get a look at the flywheel to see if the teeth were chipped or anything but the teeth weren't chipped on the old or new starter.

Help me out!!!

p.s. When I get home I'm going to check where the starter ground comes into the main ground -- I think I just thought of the culprit! Ok well post up your ideas and I'll let you know if my thought works!

Old 12-04-2006, 01:48 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Default RE: No start, only clicking

yo.. my stepdad said it could be the teeth catching the edge of the fly wheel.. he said to try loosening up the bolts to the starter and pulling it out a tiny bit.. or wiggle it while someone turns it over.. theres shim or washers that come with some starters that space them out just right. so when you get the chance tomorrow maybe.. loosen it up and wiggle/pull at it while someone turns it over

Old 12-04-2006, 01:57 AM
radwebster
Captain

my friend had a very similiar if not the same problem. turned the key, it would click continuously...new starter did the same also. it was a bad battery-to-motor ground cable. try grounding the starter directly to the battery and see if it helps.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starters can come with a bad bendix gear right from being remanned. Try one more and if it doesn't work, I would say that you have a flat spot on your flywheel (broken teeth). That's assuming the electrical end of business is working properly and the starter does not need to be shimmed.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 AM
Maintain
Rookie

I figured the teeth weren't hitting, or hoped that the flywheel wasn't missing teeth. I think it's electrical because the some beach started and ran fine for about a week and then the battery moved on the test drive and then I couldn't restart it the next day.

I'll check it out in the morning... I'll post up my findings.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:15 PM
DodgeGuy12
Amateur

Clicking usually means dead battery. Make sure the battery is good and your connections are good.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Maintain
Rookie

Clicking usually means dead battery. Make sure the battery is good and your connections are good.
No doubt, but we put a new battery in, then another new battery in.

Anyway, I didn't try to fiddle with it this morning, I got up late and it was FREEZIN out... so I'll do it tomorrow maybe.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Maintain
Rookie

It was COLD AS hell today... BUT I went out, wiggled the wires and crap around and it felt the same...

CRAP

I then went wheeling in my jeep

Quick Reply: No start, only clicking