2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

got hypertech off ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 04:13 AM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: got hypertech off ebay

ORIGINAL: HankL

The modified throttle bodies on Magnum 5.2/5.9 V8s usually
improve hp more than you would scientifically predict from the drop in flow restriction
- that is usually a clue
that the ported throttle body is affecting the reading of the MAP sensor
and also leaning the air to fuel ratio for increased power output.
leaning the air to fuel ratio means more air than fuel right? is that the reason behind better gas mileage from aftermarket tb's?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:47 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill

You are correct (98+). The PCM counts the pulses and generates speed/mileage data from them given a predetermined tire/gear combo. You have to tell the PCM that you've changed something. My speedometer reads about 2 mph low from just a tire change (285's from 265's).
So if he has a 98 than why is his speed off? If I were him I would be looking somewhere else to fix the speed.

and if the speed is calculated from the tone ring then you dont have to tell the PCM anything. It doesnt care. The only time you have to tell the PCM is when the speed is calabrated from the tranny or other location that wont give accurate speed readings.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

ORIGINAL: ripto

if you use the programmer to fix the speedo and then you take the programmer off the truck so its back to stock, will your speedo go back to being off?
When I set my truck back to stock with my Superchips it also puts the speedo back to it previous/stock setting.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill

You are correct (98+). The PCM counts the pulses and generates speed/mileage data from them given a predetermined tire/gear combo. You have to tell the PCM that you've changed something. My speedometer reads about 2 mph low from just a tire change (285's from 265's).
So if he has a 98 than why is his speed off? If I were him I would be looking somewhere else to fix the speed.

and if the speed is calculated from the tone ring then you dont have to tell the PCM anything. It doesnt care. The only time you have to tell the PCM is when the speed is calabrated from the tranny or other location that wont give accurate speed readings.
Because larger tires roll farther at a given RPM but the # of pulses generated by the tone ring (and read by the PCM) doesn't change at that same RPM. You have to tell the PCM that you have larger tires (rolling farther) per revolution. Of course the converse is true as well. Now that I'm thinking of it ... a GEARING change shouldn't affect anything as 1 revolution of the ring gear = 1 revolution of the axle no matter what your ratio is. My mistake ... but a tire change ... absolutely.

Quick Reply: got hypertech off ebay