2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some other input

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some other input

Well yesterday, cold as ***** out like usual up here, drive to school at 8am no problems. Park her in the lot. After a hard long day of studying and sleeping on campus, I walk out to much truck at about 6:30pm and fire her up. Or try to fire her up... She cranks and cranks but she won't go. I knew I was low on gas on the way there but not that low. But I figured crap, maybe it was that low. So I walk through the cold windy night to the gas station 1/2 mile away, buy a can, get some gas and walk back. She still wouldn't fire.[:-] So, I went to the 4 Wheelers Meeting, went to Taco Bell, and called it a night. (Went with friends)

Wake up this morning to go work on it in the middle of the Commuter Lot at school, that was fun [:'(] I took the fuel line off and turned the key on, was getting plenty of fuel so I figured it probably wasn't the pump. Then I decided it must be no spark because it has been a while since a tune up, and I did buy crappy parts last time, and the coil post on the cap was green and corroded. [:'(] Run the to the parts store and get a new cap/rotor/wires and rewire it in my friends car. Slap in on there and try again. She still doesn't want to go, but is trying awfully hard. So even though its fuel injected I was wondering if it was the IAC not letting any air in, so I gave it gas to open the butterflies. She stumbled but she started up and ran perfect, had a little trouble idling for the first 30 seconds then then was fine. So turned her off to see if she'd go again and same thing, had to give her some gas.

Driving it home it almost died when I'd hit the brakes and slow down for the first mile or so, but once it was warm no problems. Get home, turn it off for a minute of so and try to start her again. No problem fires right up.

So, since she seems to start when its warm I'm thinking its my IAC sticking or not working. What do you guys think? Fuel pressure was another thought but it runs fine at high RPM so don't think its getting starved, unless it just won't prime it. But then if that was the case giving it gas wouldn't do jack. Hmmmm

Any other thoughts other then IAC? After doing that outside in a parking lot for an hour, I'm warming up right now [:'(]

Old 12-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Default RE: Need some other input

I wonder if since your tank was low and it was and has been cold you had gotten some bad gas or the pump picked up some water from the condensation in the tank? I have had problems like that before (not that bad though) when I buy gas from one certain warehouse chain.....Costco.......I would put some Heet or similar in the tank and some good premium gas and see what happens. I know you keep your stuff in good running shape, so this is all I could come up with. TB cleaned recently?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

IAC all the way... it's most likely on it's way out. if you want to verify it, next time your home and it doesnt want to start, put a blow dryer on it and heat it up, then try to start it. if it fires up, then the valve is sticking and you should replace it.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Took the IAC out and she fires up every time, obviously idles as 2200 with no IAC, but at least I know thats it Going to pick one up tomarrow, the store here doesn't have one.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:15 PM
chainlitnn

sounds like it froze somewhere in the injector rail, or injectors. reason for stutter at first was air introduced into system when fuel line disconnected

Quick Reply: Need some other input