2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for LSD or LOCKER advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
TurboABA
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for LSD or LOCKER advice

I'm after improving the OFFROAD traction of my 2000 ram 1500 4x4.
As I'm sure most of you have also found out, the stock open diffs suck huge when offroading.
I was thinking about some sort of LSD for the rear, and maybe a full locker for the front.

Am I right in assuming that locking the front diff would not really be an option sincethe diffis always engaged and thus turning would become quite difficult? Are there any options for the front other then converting to manual hubs?

What about the rear? What's my best option from both a performance aspect, as well as a cost effective one?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Below is a picture showing in how little of a hole I got stuck yesterday due to this diff situation.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Tani1500
Champion
Default RE: Looking for LSD or LOCKER advice

u have a few options u can do. 1 is get and easy locker and a posi lock for the front. then your diff will act normally until in 4wd. but your front driveshaft will spin all the time.

then u can buy a selectable locker, either detriot, arb, eaton, or asburn. but those are some cash.

for the rear. either get a detriot true track or get a full detriot locker. the lsd's are crap for these trucks and they all break easy. ive also heard that arb is coming out with a selectable locker for the rear this summer ( none exist at this time) but will wait and see

Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Can you please advise more on the POSI LOCK? From what I've read before, it sounds like it only replaces the vaccuum actuated system with a cable operated one. Am I understandthing that wrong? Does it actually lock the front diff instead of leaving it open?

Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Also... I wanted to help someone out yesterday and pull them out of a ditch, and to my shock, I discovered that my truck doesn't have any tow hooks...... front or rear! Is that normal?

Old 01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install a Detroit SL (soft locker) in the rear, and an Eaton E- locker for the front. Obviously both rears will drive full time. The nice thing about the Eaton E-locker is that during 4 wheel drive, the locker operates as a standard open differential. When the locker is activated, you will now have TRUE 4 wheel drive.

The only trade off with the Detroit SL is that you give up rubber for the luxury of both wheels driving. The locker allows slip only when power is NOT being applied to the wheels. The Eaton E-locker is available for the Dana/Spicer 60 axle 30 spline. They are not out for the 70/80 Danas yet.

It's an investment, but you'll be able to climb Mt. Rushmore.....lol.

The top pic is the Detroit SL, the bottom is the Eaton E-locker.

Good luck with your ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/E487C0D721D642C7A0763932AC949FDF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/0E188A8CB2E94B11AD36E873D1186215.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 PM
rango726
Professional

as great as a locker would be (i would love one myself ) those tires dont look very off road worthy. i think a new set of knobbys would do you wonders.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

After reading your first sentence, Locker.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:46 PM
TurboABA
Professional

ORIGINAL: rango726

as great as a locker would be (i would love one myself ) those tires dont look very off road worthy. i think a new set of knobbys would do you wonders.
I totally agree and have plans for those as well, but I still can't get over these open diffs and their total "suckiness" (< my new word)

Old 01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
dr_destruction

I had the Detroit True-Trac LSD installed on my last truck(2001 Chevy z71). It was impressive, solid, never had a problem. No noise, still easy to park, but somehow ALWAYS had traction. I was plowing snow last winter and backed up over a culvert and my rear axle was on top of it, LR wheel in the air. Plow on the front and I thought I was screwed. Drove right off of it! Think it was @ $500 installed. My Dodge has the factory LSD, whick is'nt nearly as nice. Sometimes it doesnt even seem to be working. Maybe just worn out.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM
TurboABA
Professional

I've stumbled across this product. Anyone have any comments on it?

http://www.powertrax.com/lockright.html

Quick Reply: Looking for LSD or LOCKER advice