2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

downshifts to first at wide open throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
dbmowersports
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downshifts to first at wide open throttle

Hi everyone,

I tried to use search for this but nothing came up...When I try to get my truck to downshift, mostly out of over-drive, it willkick all the way down into first gear, hit the rev limiter for a second or two until I let offof the throttle. It doesn't do this all the time, but enough to really embarrass me when it does.
I've checked and changed the fluid and filter, adjusted the bands,adjusted the TV cable, and replaced the TPS.

Any suggestions.....sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything like this.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Default RE: downshifts to first at wide open throttle

First....wow...are you sure its going all the way to first?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 PM
biggene

I am having the same type of issue with my 2000 Ram 1500 and now my o/d light is starting to come on after about 20 miles of driving or so. When the light comes on, the truck does shift out of o/d. Anyone have any ideas as to what this might be??

Thanks in advance,
Gene

Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 AM
kayakman
Veteran

Well Guys, I don't know if this helps, but I think it's your computer.
This is what happen to me, it's a long storey. I give you the shorten version. I was towing my 22 ft. fifth wheel at 100 kilometers per hour (62 mph) up a long grade when the truck just dropped into first for a second or two, the only thing holding the Mrs. and I downwasour seatbelts.
What happens is a small leak from the coil wire (can be very common on 360's) arks to the fuel injector and back feeds to the computer, which can then turn this unit into chicken soup.
Mine said the fuel mixture was too lean, even with raw gas coming out of the tailpipe, it will change your shift patterns as well.
Have it checked out. I hope I was some help.
Cheers

1998 quad cab 2wd - 3:55 axle
360 V8

Old 01-31-2007, 12:37 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

db...I'd check your TPS or govenor shift selenoid first. If that's not the issue then a TV cable adjustment might be in order. Then I'd have the PCM checked. But the TPS did it for me.

Big...20 miles is a bit soon for an OD light. The system is designed to kick it out when the tranny temp gets too warm. While it could be your PCM, make sure your wire connector to the tranny from the computer is not all gucked up inside. Trouble is, it's above the throttle pressure linkage and a b**** to get at.
Just for kicks though, (and since I don't know your trannys mileage or service intervals) you might want to flush your cooler lines and make sure the check valve in your cooler line isnt plugged. This is a common problem that can lead to quick overheating and sudden death.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:22 PM
dbmowersports
Rookie

Thanks for your responses guys.
habeba...It sure does hit first. Like kayakman said, it almost puts me through the windsheild. Always happens when I try to pass someone, they probably laugh like crazy when they see the truck jerk around likethat...really embarrassing.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like its the governor pressure solenoid and switch attached to the valve body, had to replace mine in the old 46RE I had prior to my new tranny. I emailed Dan Arcand and that was his recommendation, it worked, put my downshift back in order. Easy to install, just a pain now that you have already had the pan off for the band adjustment/fluid change. You may have the 42RE same thing. different tranny.

Quick Reply: downshifts to first at wide open throttle