2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Sport 2001

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:58 PM
meangene21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Sport 2001

Hello all... I just bought ( about 3 months ago ) a White and blue 2001 dodge 1500 Ram Sport. I noticed this truck sits a little higher then the regular rams of that year. It looks like it has a lift on it. Is it a body lift? if so how much of a lift is it? I want this to sit about 4inches higher then it does now, so should i get a suspension lift or a body lift?

Thanks for the input all.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:14 PM
red98ram
Professional
Default RE: Dodge Sport 2001

body lifts are nice but if u got extra money def. go with suspension lift... get a 5inch susp. lift... u would need some other componets to go with it which im not sure what they are but im sure someone will help u out... im new also

Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

About the most you would want to do with a body lift is 3" I say get a suspension lift for sure, but you should try to figure out if it already has a lift or not. If it is already lifted, and you buy a 5" lift, you might not get 5" more then what you have now, but rather 5" from what a stock truck would be. So it is definetly in your best interest to find out if it is already lifted first. Is it an Off-road edition? Got any pics, escpecially the front suspension?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 PM
zique
Captain

Well, you've posed an open-ended question because there are many different things you need to look at. 1st and most important is if you have an off-road package or not. If you do, they come from the factory about 2" higher (IIRC).

The other things to do are to actually get under the truck and look because there is no way we can tell you if you have a suspension or a body lift w/o seeing it or having you describe a little further. Look under the truck and check the rubber spacers where the cab and bed are mounted to the frame, a body lift is simply replacing those w/ taller (and usually polyurethane) ones.
Also look at your front coils and rear springs, do you see any blocks or spacers? From the factory, your rear leafs will have an anvil shaped block under them, anything else is a lift. If they used an AAL, you should be able to tell that the lowest leaf is a little different if that be the case. I can't remember how many leafs the rear comes with, but counting them will also tell you if you've got something added on.

As for you putting a lift on, if you do have the off-road package, any lift you buy will give you 1-2" less of lift than what is advertised. What are you lifting it for, looks or off-road ability. If you want the truck to actually sit higher and clear more rocks, etc. suspension is your best option, but also more expensive. Body lifts are cheaper, but are basically just for looks and minor changes to be able to fit bigger tires than your suspension allows. If you're wanting to go 4", I would definitely suggest suspension (I don't even know if they make that big of a body lift).

Try doing a search. Lifts are covered multiple times a day on here, so I know there's plenty of info for you to find what you really are looking for. Searching does kind of suck when it's so common though because you get pretty much every post anyway. Hope this helps!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:21 PM
zique
Captain

DAH...two posts in the time I was writing.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I have noticed as a problem with the search engine on this forum, and most other truck forums I have visited, is that it does not recognize a string like 4". It will recognize a string that is three or more characters, like 4 inch, but a lot of people just use a " to represent inch.

So for example, if you put in 4" lift , it only actually searches the word lift. The rest is ignored. That gives you more then what you really wanted, and stuff you probably didn't even want at all.

Another example, if you put in 4 inch lift, it actually only searches the word inch and lift, the 4 is ignored. And this also won't give you posts where people used a " instead of the word inch.

So I agree, searching is a good tool to find information, but when it comes to these particulars, I think it can come up short most time.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
meangene21

I'll take some pictures tonight... I think there is a block at the rear springs... I'll upload them..

Thanks for all the help all.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:35 PM
meangene21

Also. I thought the sport package came with a specific type of lift.. My fault..... I'll look at my windows tag.....

Quick Reply: Dodge Sport 2001