2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Welded on exhaust,now shorted O2

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 PM
SnoPro Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welded on exhaust,now shorted O2

I gutted my cat on my '00 ram. Welded a peice on exhaust to splice back together. Now engine cuts out when I step on the gas,comes back when I let off. I have a code p0132, which is a shorted O2 to voltage. Did I smoke one of my sensors when welding, or maybe worse got the ECM? I took out back sensor when working on it, but front one was still in while welding. I never guessed it would hurt an O2 sensor.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:46 AM
radwebster
Captain
Default RE: Welded on exhaust,now shorted O2

the rear sensor has no control on engine performance, it only checks cat efficency. if you killed the front one somehow, that would cause running issues, like you have. reset the codes and see if it comes back. if it doesn you'll have to replace the front O2 sensor. i doubt you hurt your ECM

Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 PM
SnoPro Dodge
Default RE: Welded on exhaust,now shorted O2

Yeah you're right. How stupid am I to not take out the front sensor before commencing the beating. I made that mistake years ago too. Sometimes I get my hands going before my brain. I replaced the front O2 and it OK now. Thanks for putting up with my brain fart.

Quick Reply: Welded on exhaust,now shorted O2