2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Glideman88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??

I'm in TOTAL agreement with everone else on this subject. That is way too much weight for a simple 1/2 ton truck! The 46RE transmission and a 9.25 rear axle are not going to last long pulling that sort of weight.

Have you considered the legal liabities when that trailer pushes both you and any other innocent drivers out of it's way when you try to do any sort of panic stop?!?!

Do you also realize that you'll need a Class 5 hitch for that much weight? You can also plan to have the DOT confiscate your rig the first time you have to stop at a weight scale.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

You might be setting yourself up for some serious liability issues if you are in an accident towing something way too heavy for your truck. Once you dothe requiredmodifications, I wonder ifa1/2 ton truckcangetcertified for a higher tow rating.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
red98ram
Professional

i think u could supercharge it im not sure lol that would be cool with a cam, rollerrockers,and a good trany/rearend this could be a dream or inposible lol idk

Old 02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Ben D.
Champion

U need a bigger truck. doing mods to do something like this are not safe. U didn't buy enough truck and now you're trying to jimmy rig it so that it can do what you need. One its not a good idea and two it's unsafe. If you can't get stopped or something on the truck breaks you could kill yourself or someone else moving at highway speeds. The towing capacity for the 1500 is in the ballpark of like 8500 lbs not to mention you need to factor in the gvwr of the truck and what that trailer is. There is more being stressed than just rear end suspension and tranny. Then engine is being worked your brakes are being worked. O and having new breaks doesn't matter it's the size of the brakes and what they were meant to handle. The brakes are nto meant to stop that kind of load and you will have to be riding them hard to get stopped sooner or later THEY WILL FAIL. If you go the way of just jimmy rigging it to tow then plz tell me where you're leaving from and going to that way I can stay away from that train wreck waiting to happen

Old 02-07-2007, 08:45 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saftey saftey safety should be your #1 goal.... you know 500lbs over weight = 1,000 dollar fine ? im sure your tires cant hold the weight . we know the truck cant .. and when D.O.T does get ahold of ya they will have a field day... and forget what the local law says .. now you are under federal law.. be lucky you dont live in VA the weight station is a 23/7 and when you see all truck must enter ? that means pickup trucks to...how do i know this cause i have a CDL class A.. and what would happen if some one pulls out in front of you ? there fault maybe ? guess what ...its your fault..do you really want to take the chance and lose everything ? jail time ? Im not bull ****ting you...class C can only haul up to 10,000 lbs. class B 10,001lbs > class A Combination >26,000/ Tow > 10,000 lbs....plus your insurance mite not cover you... so now you mite be looking at driving with no insurance..Then you are really SOL..

Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 PM
topsites
Professional

Please listen to what they are telling you, the 1500 is way too much like a car but with a bed in back, made to look like a truck, yet affordable enough for homeowners whose twice-year trip to Home Depot warrants the purchase.

The brake system is that of a light duty truck, the springs won't hold, the transmission can NOT pull it without putting dangerously serious strain on the bands and clutches, your tires aren't likely to be of truck duty, and you're just asking for the entire thing to fall apart on you.

As if that wasn't bad enough, you'll need to check with your state's VDOT / DMV and inquire about cdl requirements, as it varies from state to state. While in some states a mere 10,000 pounds is enough, in others you need closer to 27,000, but it can and will also affect you if or when you cross state lines!
As for how the truck is measured, they take the GVWR's rating and add the truck and the trailer together... So, it doesn't matter what you have loaded, even if you never transport anything at all, if the sum of the truck and trailer's GVWR rating exceeds the limitation, then you need a CDL.

As for the hitch, I have a Class-III, and that's the biggest thing they advise mounting on my 2500.
Of course they will mount anything I ask them to mount, but they're telling me not to do it.

That having been said, I think the 3/4 ton approaches its towing limits around 10,000 pounds, thou it might can go a little higher, I also know from experience that a 2500 does some pretty serious huffing and puffing with only 8 - 10k pounds of load (keeping in mind the truck itself weighs an additional 4 thousand pounds).
As for stopping power, even my thousand-pound 6x12 trailer loaded with another 300-600 pounds of mowers really pushes my truck when I have to stop. Taking it easy is a requirement, but I wouldn't dare pulling more than 10,000 and I don't even like 8 thousand, when even with trailer brakes it's too much.

So, you really need at least a full ton 3500 series.
Perhaps a smaller Iveco or Mack truck would be in line.
On that note, if it's just a one time or a once in a moon thing, maybe you can rent something for the day, would only run you maybe a couple hundred dollars.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 PM
junkman306
Veteran

I don't mean this in a bad way, but if you do this you're probably gonna die.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

How could that POSSIBLY be meant in a GOOD way ... ?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
ForSale00Ram4dr$7000

I'm not required to stop at the weight scales in CA from what I hear, I'm not doing any thing commercial.Ive bolted and welded the factory hitch to the frame of my truck and I have a HD 12k lbs bar and RV ball on there. I dont speed and I know my limits with following distance and I can stop faster then a 18wheeler. Ive already pulled this rig 500miles and I think dodge needs to up the tow rateing of this truck, butI think Iwill make plans on geting a4x4 2500 some time soon.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:31 PM
junkman306
Veteran

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill

How could that POSSIBLY be meant in a GOOD way ... ?
I don't know. How could this topic be a seriousquestion?Either way I wouldn't have even thought about it let alone attempt it. I doubt the front wheels even touch the ground and theres no way he's gonna stop in a sudden situation. I'd hate to be the person he follows.

Quick Reply: Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??