2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 Hood Latch Recall: Any luck getting damage paid for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
mdg911.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Hood Latch Recall: Any luck getting damage paid for?

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck trying to get Dodge to pay for damage to the hood/hinges as a result of the Recall on the Hood Latch on the 94 and never trucks?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:09 AM
rollerstud98
Rookie
Default RE: 94 Hood Latch Recall: Any luck getting damage paid for?

well when did the recall happen and when did you find out about it? i'd think that if you have had a letter about it for some time they are not liable for it

Old 02-14-2007, 04:56 AM
stevejh
Rookie

My latch is messed up to, not to long ago, it came unlatched while i was driving and flew straight into the air, took a couple decent chips out of the paint on the hood and bent up the hinges, ill replace it myself. If dodge isnt gonna fix the messed up cracked dashes, im sure they wont fix the hood latch.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:34 AM
radwebster
Captain

i doubt they will pay for damages. that recall has been around for many years now, and you could have had it fixed for free at a dealership anytime.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:42 PM
k12allen
Professional

ORIGINAL: mdg911.com

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck trying to get Dodge to pay for damage to the hood/hinges as a result of the Recall on the Hood Latch on the 94 and never trucks?
Dodge didpay for a new hood, grill, springs, & hinges after my '96 RAM 1500 hood flew up last fall.

Perhaps I had a good argument. I bought the truck in '04 and when they did thecat recall in '06 they sent me the notice.While the hood latch recall was old, it had not been done and that was in their database yet they did not notify me even though they knew I bought the truck after owners were notified about the latch problem. Also, the circumstances when it flew up were dangerous - as they likely all are.

I complained to the dealer about the latch failure and the danger, let them know I learned about the recall after the accident, showed them the cat recall and complained about non-notification about the safety issue hood recall. It worked.

If anybody hasn't had the latch recall done -good idea to take care of that. Being suddenly blinded on a curvy road is not fun - I was lucky I didn't crash.

Allen

Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: k12allen

ORIGINAL: mdg911.com

Dodge didpay for a new hood, grill, springs, & hinges after my '96 RAM 1500 hood flew up last fall.

Perhaps I had a good argument. I bought the truck in '04 and when they did thecat recall in '06 they sent me the notice.While the hood latch recall was old, it had not been done and that was in their database yet they did not notify me even though they knew I bought the truck after owners were notified about the latch problem. Also, the circumstances when it flew up were dangerous - as they likely all are.

I complained to the dealer about the latch failure and the danger, let them know I learned about the recall after the accident, showed them the cat recall and complained about non-notification about the safety issue hood recall. It worked.

If anybody hasn't had the latch recall done -good idea to take care of that. Being suddenly blinded on a curvy road is not fun - I was lucky I didn't crash.

Allen
All you have to do is follow the line. I had a hood fly up on me after I had worked on my former sister-in-law's car, only this was at night. One moment I could see the road and then there was a loud thud and all I could see was black. The guy with me thought I was going to jam on the brakes, so he quickly hoisted his leg so as not to get thrown into the dash, whereupon he ripped the seat of his pants. Literally the moment I saw black I just took my foot off of the accelerator and watched the yellow line next to the driver's door (from what I could see off of the glow of the headlights).

Not a fun experience.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 PM
mdg911.com

unfortunately I did not own the truck when the recall came out!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:12 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't matter ... the recall is on the vehicle ... not the owner. Any Dodge service facility should be able to pull up all maintenance (including recalls) performed on any given VIN.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 AM
97Ram2500
Professional

He said he had a 96 what years did this recall affect I have a 97?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:10 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's actually 2 recalls for hood latches.

https://dodgeforum.com/recalls-and-t...533/Recall.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/recalls-and-t...850/Recall.htm

Quick Reply: 94 Hood Latch Recall: Any luck getting damage paid for?