2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:04 PM
mikeskywalker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system

i just put in a new water pump and a thermostat how do i bleed the system ?

96 ram 1500 sport

Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: cooling system

this is real low tech but i just fill up the radiator with a/f and/or mix and leave the cap off. crank it up and let it run. watch temp gauge to make sure its not overheating. turn heater on hotest setting. check upper radiator hose to make sure it gets hot when thermostat opens up. keep one eye on temp gauge and the other on radiator level. radiator level should go down as it starts moving water, add a/f as needed, and let it run until everything is good and hot, 10-15 min. put cap on and fill overflow tank with a/f to max, let it run another 5 minutes or so to build pressure. it should push any remaining air out the overflow.
some recommend doing this with front end jacked up, that never seemed necessary to me.
if heater won't get hot, let it cool back down COMPLETELY and then remove one heater hose and squirt water in it with water hose and nozzle.

Quick Reply: cooling system