2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NO not my Ram, need some gd trans help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:23 AM
nateblong
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO not my Ram, need some gd trans help please

I have only had my 2000 Ram since Jan 4th. I seem to visit this site every day...LOL Ok now for the good stuff.I mean ****ty stuff..my 2000 ram 360 with 46re trans has started to act like an ahole. It takes awhile to shift from 2nd to third, and now this morning while passing a Ferd, it acted like I pushed the clutch in.while passing.But its an auto.I was in second gear about 3800 rpms maybe about 3/4 throttle, and all the sudden it acted like it kicked out of gear!! rpms went up and forward monentum fell on its face. when I let off and reapplied the gas (gingerly) it seemed to act normal again...What gives. Last month I changed the filter and fluid replacing it with Coastal ATF+4, adjusted the bands and made sure the fluid level was right on the full mark ( it still is). Is my converter dying? Ive read a bunch of the trans threads on this site but could not find one similar to my problem. Any ideas....Thanks

Old 02-18-2007, 03:36 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Default RE: NO not my Ram, need some gd trans help please

Try your governor shift selenoid and pressure switch...and test your TPS for grins.I'd also suggest your toss the check valve in the cooler line.
I'd be suspicious of the Coastal brand of ATF. I'm not totaly familiar with thier products, but if it isn't a synthetic ATF+4, I'd be leery of it's quality.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:53 AM
nateblong
Professional

I will Definitly check all that you mentioned. I got the Coastal fluid at auto zone..forulated for chrysler...not a question of the fluid..its ATF +4.. Are u talking throttle position sensor..(TPS). andGRINS.......not sure what u mean, Also any idea where my check valve is in the cooler line. Thanks alot for your help man ,preciate it

Old 02-18-2007, 01:59 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Ok...Coastal Brand is a low cost loss leaderoil. It may be formulated for Chrysler, but if you buy ATF+4 from Chrysler, it is a synthetic formula. I hate to admit this, but I worked for Autozone...and I understand thier marketing.
The synthetic ATF+4 has a higher shear point and heat breakdown than a crude blend. So yeah, I would not recommend it.
TPS is short for throttle position sensor...your problem is most likely a shift selenoid issue.
The check valve is on your output line from the tranny. Look for a large nut (female thread) with a long fitting in it. It's right by the frame.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:17 PM
TPSDODGE
Professional

i had the same symptoms and when we tore it down my kick down band was alomost out of friction material and the convertor was shot i would say thats prob it those dang kickdown bands are only good for about 100k if that long i am going on 215k and onmy second band second set of clutchs and putting in the third convertor on monday

Quick Reply: NO not my Ram, need some gd trans help please