2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
red98ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake question

iv seen them airhat intakes i think there called they are 14" round and 3 thick, a guy said he bought a mr.gasket one off ebay for 18$ but i cant find anyyy of them on ebay im thinking that airhat might just be a slang word for it? im pretty sure rm indy has one on his engine but silver_dodge has a nice one he bought from summit for 120 i think but im looking for a cheaper one... sorry if this dosent make sense lol

Old 02-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: air intake question

Mine was $70, and it is usually just called an engine air cleaner or round air filter.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 PM
red98ram
Professional

dont urs say mopar on it? nvm looked at your car domain

i coulda swore u said u paid 100-120 for the the complete setup, and that it was close or better then ur k&n... but i guess not lol

Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 PM
topsites
Professional

You can get the Mr. Gasket version at Advance Auto parts for $25.
That's where I bought mine.
On my truck, I had to bend the center bolt that goes through the hole back a little with a hammer.

It looks exactly like this, after install:

Old 02-20-2007, 10:27 PM
red98ram
Professional

is this the one u got? i think i can get it for 20 shipped, would it be better then one of them 40$ ebay ones that claim to
be CAI

Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edlebrock makes one I run that isn't round. It is like a triangle shape. Works well although makes a loud sucking noise that is quite annoying. Of course any aftermarket ones seem to. I think mine was like $25 from Advance Auto parts.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 AM
red98ram
Professional

got any pics?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:58 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: red98ram

dont urs say mopar on it? nvm looked at your car domain

i coulda swore u said u paid 100-120 for the the complete setup, and that it was close or better then ur k&n... but i guess not lol
The kit for the air cleaner was $70. If you want to run a K&N filter in it, that is another $35-$45. Then you need a $5 stand alone breather. So ya, I guess the complete setup is about $100-$120. And yes, it is better then my FIPK was.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a thread over at Pavementsucks.com that XRC posted pics in.http://pavementsucks.com/forums/view...ebrock+air+hat It isn't my truck but the same setup I have.. It's a Edlebrock 1002 I didn't know the model # earlier. The stock bracket that comes with it needs to be bent differently than in the instructions and it kind of cheap. It works for several people or so they say but I found it bent back easily and I just didn't like it. I couldn't get it to stay bent like it needed to be so I had a machine shop make me one that is a heavy duty one and won't bend. I don't know if I could bend it if I needed too. Well I'm sure I could but not easily at all. It cost me an extra $25 but it seems like the stock one works for most people if you want to use that.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

It's called a ProFlow 1002. It is a foam filter. I almost bought one, but then I read some bad stories of the foam being sucked into the intake or carb (not on a Ram). The other thing that I don't like about it is that it does not have any protection from the top. If you have any water come in the cowl past your weather striping onto the top of that air cleaner, it will just soak into the foam and/or drip right down into your intake. Same reason I don't like the XStream round filter top from K&N.
A round filter with a crome top will not do that.

It looks like this:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/..._installed.gif

Quick Reply: air intake question