2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple Concerns in Regards to my 2000 Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM
bandyta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Concerns in Regards to my 2000 Dodge

Hello Everyone,
I just bought a 200 Dodge Ram Sport 5.2L V8.
I have noticed a couple things that bother me. Any input would be appreciated.

1. When I drive I can hear a whinning noise coming the wheels (I think). It directly relates to the speed. The faster I go the faster it gets, and when I slow down it goes away. It seems like the brake pads are rubbing agains the discs. I took the rims off and the pads are brand spanking new. someone told be that the calipers mught be getting stuck? I don't know. Any ideas?

2. Secondly, there is this noise. Also whinning and very loud. When I press the gas pedal slightly or let off of it I can hear the whinning noise in the left lower corner of the cabin. I thought it might be the Fuel injection pump or something like that. It is weird because it only is audible in upper gears when the gas pedal is slightly depressed or released. When I step on it, the noise is not there. Help please.

Thank You,
Kasper

Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
landarch96
Rookie
Default RE: Couple Concerns in Regards to my 2000 Dodge

Not sure about No. 2.

Is No. 1 coming from the left or right side? If left, check the rear wheel. The emergency brake mechanisms on these trucks have a habit of stickingif not used real often. Not enough to feel like the brake is on but just enough to rub the drum and make a noise. If so, use your hands to move it back and forth to free it up and then lube it up real good.

Or, if it's coming from the front, you may have a caliper piston that's sticking...that's a common failure too.

See if you can identify which wheel it's coming from then you can have a closer look at what's going on.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:52 PM
bandyta

It is coming from the front. Sound like both of the sides. Should I replace the calipers? Can I just lube them up?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:49 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Whining isn't really descriptive ... could you be more specific ... because what you're describing sounds like tire noise to me. The chances that your brake calipers are "whining" are pretty slim.

On #2 ... you said lower left ... front or back?

Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Sounds more to me like a body seal or other seam air leakage. Or maybe your inner plastic fenders are rubbing or vibrating on the steel fenders. Or you have a vacumn leak. Might be your brake booster.

At worst, if it was brakes, squirt some squeak stop goop on the BACK of your pads and reinstall them. That keeps the pads from moving on the caliper pistons much like a grasshopper rubs its legs and wings together to make sound.

When calipers sieze, they sieze, big time! You'll feel the front end pull to one side or another, and smell brake lining burning. You may even notice your rotors changing color.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

I've always found an air leak to be a whistle and a bad vacuum leak to be a hiss (with a ratty running motor). The blue goo for brake pad backing is to stop the brakes from squealing when you apply them.

That's why I was asking for something more than "whining".

#2 could be an axle bearing or differential noise ... since it changes with being on/off the pedal.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 PM
bandyta

Thank You for all your replies. I will put some lub on the brake pads.

As far as #2, it seems that the noise is coming from an electrical device or something like that when I push the gas. Sounds like it goes on and off when I slightly push the gas pedal. Weird. It is mostly noticable in OD. Right under the dash board lower left section where all the electrical stuff is.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:34 PM
bandyta

Another quick question. What tires should I go with. I want a little more Off-Road. Currently I have the BFs 265/75/16. I also just picked up some Dodge Rims from a a 04 Ram, 17". How big can I go on the 17" rims.

Any other suggestions about Cold Air Intakes would be much appreciated

Bandyta
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext Cab Sport with Nothin' on it ( ...but I'm workin' on it.)

Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
mcculloughrp

I know the whining noise you speak of. It is kind of a high pitched squeal. I have the same thing on my 2001 5.9L. I have no idea what is the culprit. I do know I have a vaumn leak, I am planning on tearing into tomorrow. Are there any other symptoms? My truck has the following problems,

1. Heater / AC fan switching from vent to defrost on it's own

2. Not able to hold cruise at 65mph

3. 8.5 MPG

4. And Sometimes I expierance a rough idle after the truck has warmed up

I am just curious if you are expierancing any of the same, I am hopeful that the check valve disscussed in another thread will cure all of my problems, but I am usually not so lucky.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcculloughrp
I know the whining noise you speak of. It is kind of a high pitched squeal. I have the same thing on my 2001 5.9L. I have no idea what is the culprit. I do know I have a vaumn leak, I am planning on tearing into tomorrow. Are there any other symptoms? My truck has the following problems,

2. Not able to hold cruise at 65 mph

3. 8.5 MPG

4. And Sometimes I experience a rough idle after the truck has warmed up

I am just curious if you are experiencing any of the same, I am hopeful that the check valve discussed in another thread will cure all of my problems, but I am usually not so lucky.

Search for "Wild Vents"

2. Not able to hold cruise at 65mph

Look for a broken vac line under the batt that goes to the cruise control pod.

3. 8.5 MPG

Vacuum leak see above.

Quick Reply: Couple Concerns in Regards to my 2000 Dodge