2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 power issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:50 PM
delawareram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 power issue

When in doubt go to the best source of info, in this case this forum. I have a 2001 1500 offroad with the 5.2 and 4.10 gears. I added a 3inch skyjacker lift and am running 35 in procomps. The problem is even before the larger tires the truck seemed to start losing power. I tow a boat and this year it seemed like the truck was working harder than before to keep it a 60, even on a flat road. I keep reading about plenum fixes and catalytic converter issues. Any advice on what to check and how would be great. By the way truck only has 38000 miles on it. Also what is the best way to correct the speedo for the bigger tires, have the dealer reflash the computer?

Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: 5.2 power issue

I would check those things first for sure. I have have the 5.2 with 3.92's and 33's and I'mhaving the same problem, it just doesn't have the ***** it should. I have a new cat, and have fixed my plenum with the APS kit, replaced my timing chain, and still no power.

I'm thinking its something more severe like cracked heads.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:24 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea your gonna want to check the basics give it a good tune up maybe a high flow cat try the plenum. also for your tires and such you should try a programmer that will give you more power too.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Rusty Nurf Bar

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

I would check those things first for sure. I have have the 5.2 with 3.92's and 33's and I'mhaving the same problem, it just doesn't have the ***** it should. I have a new cat, and have fixed my plenum with the APS kit, replaced my timing chain, and still no power.

I'm thinking its something more severe like cracked heads.
I too have this problem...with my 99 4x4 sport, I also have a 94 2wd that is about a million mph faster. I know its way lighter and all that jazz but its still hands down more powerful. Can cracked heads really be the culprit of this issue. Because I want to get this fixed while I have the money, Ive already ordered a Volant CAI and going to Order a fast 50mm TB was also thinknig about a after market intake manifold is this why every one talks about the R/T heads and where can I get those?

Quick Reply: 5.2 power issue