2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sea Salt, and Sand, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
bullfrog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Salt, and Sand, HELP!

Hey guys, well im new to the forum the names mark, just recently purchased a 1997 Ram 1500 Its got a 8" Rancho lift and 35" SSR's I am attending Texas A&M in Corpus Christi, Tx. Now whenever we dont got class we usually go to the beach but i've been hesitant to bring my baby "bullfrog" out there cause of the sand and knowledge of the rust corrosion due to salt in it. Now i've had friend tell me get the underbody rhinolined, or line-x'd or just the simple rust protection spray... Now they say there are a million places down here in Corpus that do this Rust protection spray but is that whats its called or what? Basically to sum all of this babel up Which spray should I get for the truck? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Sea Salt, and Sand, HELP!

rhino lining is definitely a good spray on liner go to their website and you will be able to use the dealer locater. It is kind of expensive but its a lifetime warrenty. Also to further clean your truck if you get a lot of salt water on it try a web site such as boaters world and you can get a product called salt away we use it on the boat and waverunners all the time

Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Being by the ocean isn't going to do ANYTHING to your frame or truck....

My truck is 10 years old and has lived all 10 years in the cold, wet, salty north. You'd cry is you saw how much salt is on my paint and underbody. Theres only 2 little spots of rust on the back that I'm fixing in the spring, and the frame is still perfect, no rust at all, nice and black painted still.

Living next to the ocean for 10 years or so might start to slowly rust stuff, but an afternoon trip there a few times a week isn't going to do anything. You could part your truck in the ocean and it still woudln't be as much salt as I get on my truck driving 6 miles into School

Oh yeah,

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

I agree with Socha to an extent, a nieghbor of mine had a older ford pickup that a marina up in Alaska owned and used to back the boats into the ocean and the salt ate the box off. Biggest thing is to wash and wax your truck every now and again. Mines a 94 and the frame is still perfect on it, and up in Wisconsin when the snow flies the county goes out and salts the living hell out of the roads. My truck is green in the summer months and white for the winter. No problems yet

Kinda rambly, sorry

Quick Reply: Sea Salt, and Sand, HELP!