2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck wont start!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 AM
zboban
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck wont start!! HELP!!

I have a dodge ram 5.2l 5 spd. I purchased the truck about 6 months ago and the prior owner did a full tune-up and replaced teh battery. The truck ran great until our first snow storm and I was plowing and suddently the truck just died. It didnt sputter or seem like it was fuel related, after 5 mins it started back up again drove it for about 15 mins and then dieded once again.. So a few mins later it ran fine again and i let it idle for about 30 mins and then drove the truck and plowed a few more driveways and on my way home it died for good. It turns over but it wont start. So i squirted some starter fluid and it was putt putt putt and died. So i belive the fuel pump gave up. So i had to get it towed to my house and the next day when i put starting fluid it didnt do anything. So my next step was to check for spark.. Well now there isnt any spark. Now my questions are... What is the some common things I can check for spark? I changed the relays and nothing happened. Is it possible I got something wett and fried something.. Shoot me some answer so i can get this truck up and running. I know that the water pump is also dieing on me and needs to be changed.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
mojo
Professional
Default RE: Truck wont start!! HELP!!

Do you have Spark at the coil? If not check wires to and from coil. Take Coil to parts store and have it checked Autozone will do it for free. If coil is ok check distribitor do simple stuff first cap, rotor if that is all ok and you still don't have spark check out the pickup coil in the distribitor. Make sure you have fuel first if not, the pcm won't send spark if there is no fuel. You should hear the pump kick on when you turn the key to ON. The fuel pump is avery common propblem and in all honesty that is still the first place I would check. I would also check the TPS might have messed that up using Starting fluid. YOu didn't say what year it was on88 to 95 models you can turn the key ON three times in 15 sec and pull the computer codes off by watching the check engine light. if it is 96or newer you can barrow a code scanner at AutoZone its about a$100.00 but you get that back when you return it.That could narrow your search. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
BLOWNRAM

just like it was stated, check the basics first. key "on" engine "off", listen for the fuel pump and with that just cause the gauge reads an amount it doesn't mean that the gauge was working. after that you would check if you have spark at the coil, then to the dist., then out of the dist. a hole could've gotten burnt through the middle of it. if all that doesn't show loss of spark, the crank sensor is very common to fail since if the computerdoesn't see a signal it doesn't know that you are trying to start it. also when you first key up the truck see if you check engine light is on.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:36 AM
zboban

Its a 1994. I wont be able to check on the truck until this weekend so I will let you know how it comes out. Also i did do the "on" and "0ff" to get codes and the check engine light was flashing. Do you know where i can find what these codes mean. I also forgot to mention prior to this my fuel guage has been acting up, I knowI put about 15 gallons right before the truck finally stalled and checking my fuel gauge it doesnt even move. So i think I might just change out the hwole fuel pump and fuel sending unit.. Does any one have a good recommendation on which fuel pump to get. I would like a complete one so i can have an accurate fuel guage

Quick Reply: Truck wont start!! HELP!!