2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Noise - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Glideman88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Noise - UPDATE

I dida search on the forum for this and can't really find answer, so I'll throw the question out to you guys.

When I turn to the left at slow speeds (such as when turning into a driveway orturning left at an intersection) there is a LOUD noise coming from the steering wheel / column area. It almost sounds like a "honk" noise and I can feel a slight harmonic vibration throught the steering wheel at the same time.

This only happens when turning left and only in the first revolution of the steering wheel.

I've lubed both the steering shaft u-joint and slide and still no improvement. I already know that it can't be a bad power steering pump, because I replaced it a couple month's ago and the noise didn't go away.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Eric334
Rookie
Default RE: Steering Noise

Love to help you, but I can't I have the same problem. Hopefully someone will be able to help us both out.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:48 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 04-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Glideman88
Professional
Default RE: Steering Noise

I installed a NAPA remanufactured Steering Gear Box this week and all of the noise is gone!

I also had to buy a new pitman arm because the old one refused to come loose form the original gear box. I actually broke my pitman puller trying to remove it, luckily there's a lifetime warranty on the tool. Also the high psi hose and return lines were rusted in place so I replaced those too.

The truck steers great now with no noises or wandering. It actually seems kind of strange to have it turn so easy and smooth.

Quick Reply: Steering Noise - UPDATE