2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sagging Drivers Side Door

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:42 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging Drivers Side Door

I think the drivers side door on my truck is sagging a little bit. I am not totally sure if it is the door pins are worn out or that roller that the hinge rides on with the force of the spring. That roller isnt exactly in great shape.

Has anyone had to replace their hinges or that pin with the roller on top? It doesnt look like its fun to do so I am curious what people have done for it.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:31 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sagging Drivers Side Door

My 95' did the same thing. The bushings in the door are most likely worn out. I bought 4 hinges, primered them, painted them black, and had Macco install them. You need some fancy shallow sockets, and they have a jack that balances the door so the preload on the hinges is equal.

Just my two cents. The job is a bi*ch with 2 guys and a roller jack. And if you drop the door, you can kiss some of the wiring good bye....lol.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:06 PM
bmgstang
Rookie

The doors on my mustang were both sagging. When I was prepping it for paint me and another guy grabbed a door and bent it back up. I'd see if your doors have any play in them, if they're solid you can probably just bend them. If they have play in them you probably have to buy some new parts.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 AM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

My 95' did the same thing. The bushings in the door are most likely worn out. I bought 4 hinges, primered them, painted them black, and had Macco install them. You need some fancy shallow sockets, and they have a jack that balances the door so the preload on the hinges is equal.

Just my two cents. The job is a bi*ch with 2 guys and a roller jack. And if you drop the door, you can kiss some of the wiring good bye....lol.

Where did you buy the hinges from? What did they run you?

What did Maaco charge you to replace them?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:38 PM
morrgriff
Rookie

Hey 360sport,

Check the alignment on your door first. Yes, things can wear out and cause poor fit and wind noise and such and hinges will need replacing, but you may solve the problem with a simple door adjustment (cost = $0). I ran into this on both doors on mine.

If you don't have the Service Manual or "Merry Christmas" thread, download it and it will show you what to loosen and move to adjust the door for a perfect, tight fit.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:02 PM
DeadLifter

There'a a tool to lift your doors when they need it, but you can also lift up on the door out on the end with it partially closed or take a jack and put a block of wood between it and the door andlift it a nudge. I can just grab mine from the bottom and lift hard and it'll shut fine for months. Or like the other guy said you could have bad bushings, but sometimes they just come out of alignment.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:53 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 360sport

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

Where did you buy the hinges from? What did they run you?

What did Maaco charge you to replace them?
I bought the hinges from this Chrysler parts dealer in NJ. You get a 20% discount on internet orders.The guy gives me the discount because we have done a lot of business. The whole gang in a good bunch of guys. With Jersey accents.......lol.

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

Macco charged me $88 dollars with tax for all four hinges installed, plus alignment.

Quick Reply: Sagging Drivers Side Door