2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What should i do for a tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Weeking97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i do for a tune up?

hey everyone i have a 2001 1500 Off Road Ed w/ a 5.9 i need advice on what i should do for a tune up. as the truck is running like crap now, i guess after a winter w/ a 8ft plow on the front its expected. what else should i do besides:
plugs (whats best for gas and hp)
wires
air filter
front/rear diff fluid
thanks alot.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Terran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What should i do for a tune up?

Get some good plugs, NGKs, or another quality brand, no bosch or "autostore" brand. You might even want to consider going a heat range colder. Same goes for wires, pick up some low resistance silicone wires with brass terminals if they have them.

Cap and rotor, same thing here. Don't get the cheapo "autostore" brand, get a good Napa (or others) set with brass terminals.

Feel free to snap off the heat shields when you install the plugs as they seem to just get in the way. Also remember to use lots of Dielectric grease on each end of the spart wires. This creates a solid electrical connection between the parts.

Try to find an open paper element kit, it won't cost you much more then a good fram filter and you'll see good results from replaceing the stock intake with it. https://dodgeforum.com/m_613741/tm.htm

You can also adjusting the bands in your transmission and refilling it with all ATF+4.

Sombody will have to chime in on the diff-fluid.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:34 AM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt know you could snap off those damn heatshields, they are a PITA.

As for diff fluid, I see alot of people use the royal purple in the front/rear diff's with excellent results. Not very cost effective to use the RB motor oil, unless u have cash to burn.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did my tune up I went with a Edlebrock air hat for my new filter. Then I put MSD wires with Champion plugs in. I did Autolites at first but it seemed to have a slight missfire so I switched back to Champions and it's running great. For the cap and rotor I went to Napa and got them. I'd also do the pcv vavle if I was you when I did it all. Depending on when you last flushed the transmission that might not be a bad thing to do either.

Quick Reply: What should i do for a tune up?