2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine missing? chugging? problem - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
chadzilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge dakota chugging

i just bought a 1999 dodge dakota sport and i is doing the
same thing what do i need to change to fix this.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
mypar_99ram

the popping and sputtering sounds like a fuel issue for sure my shot in the dark guess is probably the fuel pump

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 AM
dlallen66

Had this happen with my '99 and it was after I had replaced wires, cap and plugs. Ended up putting the old parts back on and it cleared up so I started replacing the old parts with the new parts one part at a time. When I put the new Distributor Cap on it messed up. Took it back and the parts store looked at it and found a crack around the center post.
I also had a similar thing happen on a 454 big block, the center post of the Cap had burned out.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 AM
89eltigre

my 97 does this on an occasion , have yet to solve the issue. usually warm start off after a store visit . maybe twice on cold take off . also looking for suggestions .

Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine had a slight chugging issue but I only had a cylinder 3 misfire, but I suspect others had to be missing slightly as well. I was using oil also, and I had replaced plenum, intake and throttle body gasket & pcv valve...Fix turned out to be valve seals, cylinder 3 misfire & chugging went away with the check engine light a day after I did the valve seals. During the valve seal job I also took all my spark plugs on a wire wheel & cleaned them up seeing they were only a month old.

I had a grand total of 7 cracked valve seals on a mix of intake and exhaust valves. I suspect a bad intake valve seal would have pretty much the same effect as a blown plenum gasket.

Its been a month and a half since the valve seal job and so far I have zero oil useage,no misfires & zero chugging and a mountain of RAM POWER!.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Joshua Wilson

i haven't seen anyone mention it but you might check the catalytic converter. with the plenum problems on these engines it dumps oil on the cats making them clog, overheat, meltdown and clog up again. Check the pressure on the front and rear o2 sensors, if the reading is higher in the front then your cat has more than likely had a meltdown.
This would also account for the chugging at 40mph under 2k rpm. At lower rpm there is not enough pressure to blast through a clogged catalytic converter, then pushing the exhaust back in the motor causing the chugging. In the mean time there is still fuel and oil basting the already clogged cats igniting and causing the popping sounds.

Before i did anything drastic I would take it to a muffler shop and have them check the cat if you dont have a pressure gauge.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dlallen66
Had this happen with my '99 and it was after I had replaced wires, cap and plugs. Ended up putting the old parts back on and it cleared up so I started replacing the old parts with the new parts one part at a time. When I put the new Distributor Cap on it messed up. Took it back and the parts store looked at it and found a crack around the center post.
I also had a similar thing happen on a 454 big block, the center post of the Cap had burned out.
I assume it was the Borg Warner Cap? I've noticed all 3 new Caps from Super O's are exactly like that. Since Standard Motor Products has bought them out their parts have went to ****.

I'm buying one from the dealer next.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually I just got off the phone with SMP and filed a complaint.. they are "looking into the problem"

Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
chadzilla
Default 1999 dodge dakota

i thought it was my cat because when it would start spitting a spuddering bam my exuahst would blow off at one of my connections right after my y pipe before the cat so i took it out completly and added a 18 inch peiace of pipe but it still does it is seems like it doe's it when i am at a slow speed trying to accelerate.i am buying the truck for 2300 but i dont know if its worth it....

Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

I am having the same issues with my 01' 1500 5.2 I just recently bought.

ONLY does it when it's warm though, lately it doesn't do it anymore.

Chuggs, pops and spits for the first 10min of driving then fine until I shut it off and redrive. I drive with OD off. at a complete stop the idle will get 200-300rpm high then when im on the break it will want to jump forward then after that it settles down.

Here's the thing. I changed the cap(have rotor just haven't changed)
--New air filter, cleaned the IAC and throttle body, oil changed, Seafoamed, injector and fuel cleaners, ran premium in it for a while, had a buddies shop change my plugs and wires when they checkout the tranny and tcase but they said two plugs and wires were stuck and they couldn't get them out and said to try it again after I ran it for a while, would having 2 old plugs and wires cause this but then again I would have to replace them all again not just the two so they are all the same.. or not changing the rotor? I am also getting about 8.5MPG no heavy weight, baby'n the pedal, no mods but 33's.

Thought maybe the cat was clogged was gonna replace or remove it.

Tight on cash, any regards to which I should try first regarding (Cat or TPS or Rotor or try the 2 plugs and wires)

Quick Reply: engine missing? chugging? problem - help!!