2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wind shield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:36 PM
jfantastik60
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind shield wipers

whats up fellas, the other day we got alot of snow and i hit the wipers and they didnt work... turns out i blew the fuse. So i put in another one and blew it to so it means i have a short. anyone know how to get to the motors for the wipers so i can check if the wire are touching metal anywhere.. i heard i have to take off the dash i just hope to god i dont.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran
Default RE: wind shield wipers

Did the second fuse blowinstantly when you inserted it or after you inserted it when you tried to turn on the wipers?

Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wiper motor is not behind dash, its under the black plastic cowl.
1 mark position of wiper arms on windishield
2 pull wiper arm up vertical as far as it will go, pull on the release tab at the base of the wiper arm, to release the catch. it only moves 1/16 - 1/8 inch, so don't get carried away. when the catch releases, you can pull the arm up, and off the splined shaft.
3. remove the black plastic cowl. what looks like hex nuts are just plastic push on rivets. you can sort of turn them and pry up gently to get them off.
4. wiper motor and wires are there.
5. wiper on/off/intermittent interval is on the steering column as the 'multi-function switch'.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:36 PM
jfantastik60
Rookie

oo man i cant tell you thank you enough... and yehh the fuse blew instantly... thanks again dhvaughan

Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

if the fuse is blowing BEFORE you turn the wipers ON, it tells me your short is likely in/around the multifunction switch, and not out on the wiper motor itself. its likely in the wiring bundle on the steering column, under the covers. you will need some long torx drivers to get the knee panel and covers off. otherwise its easy.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 PM
jfantastik60
Rookie

thanks alot man

Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

oh yeah, if you do need to remove the multifunction switch, you will need a 'security torx'. its shaped like a torx, but the tool is hollow, and the screw has a nub in the center. you can get a set of them at autozone for about $8. and if you do take them off, replace the security torx with either standard torx or allen head. i think they are 4mm machine screws, about an inch long. there are 3 of them. also by the way, a new multifunction switch is relatively cheap, about $45 at autozone.

Quick Reply: wind shield wipers