2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Popping Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Zachtk8702
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping Sound

I started noticing a popping noise quite some time ago, its gotten pretty bad now.... Its primarily pops when I quickly take off or come to a quick stop.... When the humidity is high, everytime I take off and stop i hear it... I can also feel it under my feet....

Anyone know what this might be??? Ball joints??

Old 03-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Zachtk8702
Rookie
Default RE: Popping Sound

this is for a 2001 dodge ram 1500..... shouldnt be in the dakota forum.... can a mod please move or delete

Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a rattling sound under drivers feet or passenger feet can be the lower front shock bolts. they have to be torqued at 100 pounds, which takes either a long pipe or an impact wrench. i had mine real tight with an extra 1 foot of pipe on the ratchet, and they still rattled. i let the impact wrench pound them for another 1/8-1/4 turn and they quit rattling/bumping.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:18 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

there is two things that it can be. It is either your u-joints which you can check by graping the drive line and rotating it by hand it will move a little. What you need to look for is see if the u joints have play in them. They don't rotate but kinda wiggle. The other thing it could be which is what my 2001 dodge ram has is gear lash. When the drive line has torque in it it is being pushed by the gears. When you let off of the gas the gears stop pushing and the friction slows your shaft down causing it to smack or lash against the gears. The only way to fix this is to squirt really think grease on the yoke. This isn't very practical because the grease will be gone in about a week. So you basically have to live with it. It dosen't cause any damage its just annoying

Quick Reply: Popping Sound