2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple of things

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
mnram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of things

First off great site. I haven't posted much doing more reading than anything right now. I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer for me.

I just picked up a 01 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Offroad with the 5.9l in it. Drove the truck home on Saturday and it rode like a lumber wagon. I am assuming with the offroad package it has a stiffer suspension in it. Anyway here are my quesitons:

[ul][*]What is a good manual to buy that will help with troubleshooting anything on the truck? In the past I have purchased Clymer manuals is that one good enough or is there a better one?[*]What is the difference between the 1500 Sport and the 1500 Sport w/ Offroad package? For instance is there more towing capacitity? I know it is lifted but how high?[*]The previous owner purchased tires and originally it came with 275/70/17 and he put on 265/70/17. While driving it home this weekend I noticed that the speedo is off about 5 mph. I was following my wife in her van and she had her cruise set for 73 and I was doing 77 just to keep up. Aside from the speedo being off is it also causing my economy to suffer as well? Would I benifit from going to 285's if I replace the tires?[*]What sort of mods should I do to it to get a little better fuel economy and maybe some better sound? I was looking at a DIY exhaust kit on ebay that came with a Flowmaster 40 series muffler and pipes for dual's out the back with chrome tips. Is that a good deal and how important is it to get them welded in? Do you recommend a Hypertech programmer to adjust stuff with? How about a cold airintake?
[/ul]

Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Couple of things

welcome to df and congratulations on a nice truck.

download this and save it and maybe even print out sections of it. its the full service manual for, wow.. an 01.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_340929/tm.htm
the link stays in the general info sticky at the top of this forum. i also have a haynes manual. i hate it, but i use it a good bit, so it was worth the $15 or so bucks.

next question. yes offroad has stiffer springs, maybe a tad more lift, tow hooks, 4.10 gears, 17" wheels. my 01 non sport, non offroad has factory 3" blocks under the leaf springs and the rear fender wells sit 41" from the ground at the center with the tires below. yours might also have factory trans cooler. no it does not increase towing capacity that i know of, except the trans cooler really helps on towing in general.

too bad prev owner put on the wrong tires, but on the plus side, those smaller tires modify your effective rear end gear from 4.10 to 4.30 or so, giving you better torque, pulling power, etc. you could probably correct your speedo with a hypertech or superchips, although mine wouldn't adjust my speedo due to some kind of abs controller issue. smaller tires hurts your gas mileage only a little.

not much you can do to improve mpg. most mods give you more power and less mpg. i think a cold air intake is a huge waste of money imo, do a search on a popular thread concerning old fashioned round air filters, something like k&n fipk no more. if you want LOUD mufflers flowmaster can provide that. welded is less prone to leak but not required.

post pics.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:45 PM
j0ker21m

Are there any free online manuals for '00 Ram 1500 4X4? It sure would come in handy.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Very little difference between the 00 and the 01 Rams ... get the 01.

Quick Reply: Couple of things