2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 PM
azffighter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioning

So I have a 96 1500 with 196,000 miles and NO a/c and I live in arizona. It's already getting hot out. I talked to a local shop and they quoted me a price of $1,251 out the door. What has everyone else paid. Is this something I could do myself?

Ken

Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: air conditioning

is the ac not working or does the truck not have any of the air conditioning components

Old 03-29-2007, 12:06 AM
azffighter
Rookie

It's just not blowing any cold air, and I hear a weird noise coming from it when it repeatedly clicks on and off.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Do it yourself, go get an AC compressor from the dealer of parts store and swap it in. Make sure to depressurize the system We were working on a car here at school and they told me they depressureized the system. I was cutting through the lines with a die grinder bedause we were removing it for good and all the sudden POOF. And I was covered in regridgerent[:'(] Good thing I had saftey glass on!

Anyways swap it over and try to get some of the older refridgerent, R-34. They don;t use it in newer cars but you can still find it. R-134a sucks.

Just buy some R-34 or R-134a (if you have to) and filling the system, you can even buy crappy refillers of 134a at Wal mart. There a fill nozel on the lines on the passenger side. Don't pay some dude $1000.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:48 PM
azffighter
Rookie

How involved is it? Do I need special tools?

Old 03-29-2007, 06:03 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: azffighter

How involved is it? Do I need special tools?
First thing I would do is disconnect the compressor wiring so that is does not try to engage. That weird noise may be a compressor that's seized, or is getting ready to seize.

Changing a compressor is easy. They usually will warranty a new one only with a new accumulator/dryer. Some mfgs want ALL the components replaced. If you find that your compressor is fine, I would first, try changing the oring seals. On my 95 there are 8-10 of them. You can buy the uncoupler tool at Autozone for like 12 bucks.

An oring replacement kit is only 2-3 dollars. There's even an A/C Haynes manual at the parts store. It gives a pretty detailed look at how to diagnose a/c systems. There's not much to them. A compressor, condenser, evaporator, lines, freon, an accumulator/dryer, and metering orifice. Sounds like a lot but it's not.

If new seals are installed, vacuum the system down, add freon, and see what happens. The truck has a sticker under the hood that tells you what the system capacity is. I am pretty sure your Ram is exactly 2lbs of 134a. The type of PAG oil you need for the compressor will be in the instructions that come with a new compressor. Old compressor or new, each requires a specific amount of oil (PAG) oil.

If you can read, then find a set of 134a gauges and vacuum pump to use. You can fix your a/c. It's easy.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Anyways swap it over and try to get some of the older refridgerent, R-34. They don;t use it in newer cars but you can still find it. R-134a sucks.
R-34??? You mean R-12?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 PM
jasont415

First of all, i belive its a 12000 dollar fine for just discharging an ac system, It may only apply to r-12, second of all never use anything other then r134a on that system you will ruin it.

Try to see if your compressor stays on when you select AC, always test ac systems on MAX ac, also if the compressor is not working right find the ac lines and trace them until theres a switch (there will be 2) unplug it and try to jump the connector to see if it will go on, if it does, your problem is electrical, if it does not you have other problems.

Look for oil leaks around various ac components to make sure you dont have a leak, refrigant doesnt just dissapear. Its usless to charge it if its leaking.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:26 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill

R-34??? You mean R-12?
There was an r34 for a short time. I am pretty sure it was the first "134a". It just wasn't named that till a few years later. I'd have to double check.

Good luck with ALL our rides.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Ram1500Dodge
Veteran

ORIGINAL: jasont415

First of all, i belive its a 12000 dollar fine for just discharging an ac system, It may only apply to r-12, second of all never use anything other then r134a on that system you will ruin it.

Try to see if your compressor stays on when you select AC, always test ac systems on MAX ac, also if the compressor is not working right find the ac lines and trace them until theres a switch (there will be 2) unplug it and try to jump the connector to see if it will go on, if it does, your problem is electrical, if it does not you have other problems.

Look for oil leaks around various ac components to make sure you dont have a leak, refrigant doesnt just dissapear. Its usless to charge it if its leaking.
.....nevermind

Quick Reply: air conditioning