2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
andrewpierce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle leak

Hey guys, i recently got my right front u-joint replaced on my 97 dodge ram 1500. Ever since then ive noticed that from where the 4wd shaft comes out of the axle there is a grease or oil of some sort is leaking out of the axle near the tire. Anyone have any idea what this might be. i took it back to the people who did the u-joint but they just cleaned it off and told me to come back in a week. Although i feel im being pushed around by these guys i would still like to know exactly what the fluid is and where its coming from, i haven't been driving it in fear i might trash some gears of some sort. Thanks for the help

Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: axle leak

Mine did the same thing after I replaced the u joints.

It is the axel seal, and it needs to be replaced.
Mine is on the passengerside, and it is just weaping...

Just keep an eye on the front diff fluid and you wont reck anything.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
quadro
Rookie

both of mine leaked when I did my universals, both times. i didnt replace the seals either times. Unless you park on some really uneven ground they will only leak until the level of the housings, which on my truck has never been low.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
stve

Had the same issue onmy drivers side - as I had to go in through the diff, I took the opportunity to do both seals[/align][/align]See the attached link, may be useful for reference, Steve[/align][/align]http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/axleseal.php[/align]

Old 03-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stve

Had the same issue onmy drivers side - as I had to go in through the diff, I took the opportunity to do both seals[/align][/align]See the attached link, may be useful for reference, Steve[/align][/align]http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/axleseal.php[/align]
How long did it take to do both?
How did you (if you did) clean out the tubes that the axle's are in, soap and water would seem like a good idea, but i dont really want to get it in the diff.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM
stve

Hi, it took us most of last Sunday to do. The damp climate over here in the UK doesn't help - we made a hub puller in order to get the wheel bearings off which made it much easier. To clean out the tubes we used a round wire brush - similar to that used for cleaning wire wheels but much harder. This was attached to a pole and took several times to clear out, this was then followed by an oiled rag used like a ram which was tightly packed to the axle to collect up the debris. This was repeated several times.

You have to take out the diff so there is plenty of room to clear out any debris which comes through but the oiled rag picks most up. At the same time I took the opportunity to change both wheel bearings (one was shot anyway), replace drake discs and pads etc and give the lot a good grease up.

The one problem encountered was a broken bolt on the vacuum motor which was easily drilled out, and the casting was badly corroded around the screw holes so this casting was repaired with a bit of welding.

Overall pretty easy going but a bit time consuming - not quite the best design in terms of time to change a couple of relatively cheap oil seals !!

Hopefully this helps out, Steve

[IMG]local://upfiles/55416/94F141E5411047D1877964EDFE0DE197.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2007, 10:21 PM
andrewpierce

Ok, well i did take it in about a week ago he told me to come back in a week which will be this monday. I havent driven my in a few days and the leak went away then i took it for a spin today and it started pouring out again. i checked the level of the diff. fluid and they are still good. Its been about 2 weeks or so of it leaking as well as the color of it has changed from just a dark mixture to a milky mixture now.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:39 AM
mikecjn
Professional

Oh crap...why is that?? I just had both u-joints switched out. I will take a look in the morning to see if I am leaking. Why is everyone having a problem after having u-joints changed?

Old 04-02-2007, 02:16 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikecjn
Why is everyone having a problem after having u-joints changed?
When they shove the axles back through the tubes and into the differential they're f****ing up the seals.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
bigjonsdodge

i would get that seal fixed pronto. When you drive through mud and water, the fluid will get contaminated and will kill your bearings. Also the ring will throw fluid to that seal to keep the upper pinion throughly lubed. I let mine weep and kept the fluid up but after about 250 miles after it first started the seal let go burning up my pinion bearings. Two pinion bearings, pinion seal, diff side bearings, and shim kit was $800 from the dodge store and I had to put it all in myself bc the service dept. would only put a new axle in (only $3500). Fix it today

Quick Reply: axle leak