2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The risk of 14x3 round air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The risk of 14x3 round air filters?

Hi all,
Yeah I know that the 14x3 air filter topic has been beaten to death, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. I want to go with a round filter cause it looks good, it's cheaper, and it gives the same amount of performance as the other intake kits (or so I've been told).

However, nobody can tell me how much of a risk there is to getting water into the intake with the round filter setup. Yes I do hit puddles at 55mph once in a while and yes I do some off roading/mudding, but nothing like up to the door handles (if I can help it). Will I be asking for trouble by getting a round filter? If so, is there anything I can do to protect the filter (short of going with a different hood or other major modifications)? What would you do?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you go mudding or playing in puddles, put a K&N pre-filter on your round filter. It protects it from water and dust. That's what I use.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks I've never heard of a pre-filter. Looks interesting. How restrictive is it? Can I drive at highway speeds with it on without killing my gas mileage or something worse?

Is this what you meant? http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=22-1430PL

Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Yes, thats it. Mines black though. It works pretty good for me. I haven't tried driving with it on the highway though or under normal conditions. I've only put it on when I know i'm going to be going through deep muddles or mud. I also carry a spare paper filter just incase.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

muddles lol thats a funny word

Old 01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Instead of mud and puddles, just say muddles.

Kind of like the word I invented several years ago after an all night Halo session... instead of fuzzy or blurry, its bluzzy.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Muddles lol. My bad. I think I like it though, maybe I'll keep using it.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sometimes i want to take my K&n cai intake off and put on a 14x3 on, just so i can hear my motor more , and too see if i get more performance outta it

Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Viper37
Banned

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Hi all,
Yeah I know that the 14x3 air filter topic has been beaten to death, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. I want to go with a round filter cause it looks good, it's cheaper, and it gives the same amount of performance as the other intake kits (or so I've been told).

However, nobody can tell me how much of a risk there is to getting water into the intake with the round filter setup. Yes I do hit puddles at 55mph once in a while and yes I do some off roading/mudding, but nothing like up to the door handles (if I can help it). Will I be asking for trouble by getting a round filter? If so, is there anything I can do to protect the filter (short of going with a different hood or other major modifications)? What would you do?
It happened to me going through a puddle. Air cleaner was completely soaked. Engine barely ran and it ingested water.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
sometimes i want to take my K&n cai intake off and put on a 14x3 on, just so i can hear my motor more , and too see if i get more performance outta it
Sometimes I just want to take my K&N and beat the $hit out of the truck(and the people around it! Is this normal with a K&N equipped Dodge Ram?

Quick Reply: The risk of 14x3 round air filters?