2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sonnax Sure cure and Transgo ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Sonnax Sure cure and Transgo ?'s

I was looking over the pieces and instructions of the Sonnax Sure Cure and the Transgo Shift Kit and instructions and it appears that some of the parts are replacements for each other.

Which parts of the Transgo is better or superior to the Sonnax kit? Which parts are better from Sonnax? Would it be worthwhile to purchase both kits or should I get the Transgo and pick a few of the Sonnax parts up individually, or vice versa?

If anybody has a Transgo write-up around that would be cool too. I've been pouring over it and appears do-able, but I'd like some pointers from the pros around here that deal with these all the time.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 PM
transguy37
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a Dodge units, front wheel or rear wheel drive, I prefer Sonnax Sure Cure. This is my opinion. The sure cure kits cover all the problems and fixes without having to change a bunch of springs and drilling holes. Its quick and easy. The 3 valves that they provide are very effective. The manuel valve gives you full time convertor charge. As with all Dodges you have to check the fluid level in nuetral, because that's when it charges the convertor. New manuel valve, you can check it in park, and your convertor is charged all the time. The new pressure regulator valve connects the line pressure and lube curcuits together. It also has a built in plunger and spring in the valve to prevent convertor drain back. So, now you have line pressure in the lube curcuit and the unit will lube better. The TCC valve helps with overheating and balooning the converter clutch. One thing I wish Sonnax would address is the TCC boost clip, it breaks. Superior has the fix for it with a new bolt down plate. This is just my opinion though.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Thanks for the input. I'm not shy about diving into things but this will be my first dive into the valve body. Any tips you have would be appreciated.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

squirrel, did you ever get your truck to quit pinging?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which transgo did you go with? I put the sure cure in just about every unit i build, i love sonnax's products.

If doing a sure cure, i wount put an HD transgo kit in it. I would go with a regular superior or Transgo Jr.

If the shift kits have the same replacment parts as the sure cure, always go with the sure cure parts.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I just put the Transgo JR kit in my truck and it was relatively easy to install. I only had to drill 1 new hole and open up like 3 to a bigger size, then there was a spot you had to file a little bit and then replace the manual valve and a couple of springs. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but it should work great.

One suggestion when tearing into the valve body is to beware of the check ball locations. There are about 8-9 total in the valve body and if you aren't careful they can go bouncing across the garage. Make sure to have a clean work area and lay down like a towel or something in case they fall out, they should just lay on the towel rather than take a bounce.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
squirrel, did you ever get your truck to quit pinging?

Yes, but I'm not 100% happy, yet

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...d-help-25.html

Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by MonteC
Which transgo did you go with? I put the sure cure in just about every unit i build, i love sonnax's products.

If doing a sure cure, i wount put an HD transgo kit in it. I would go with a regular superior or Transgo Jr.

If the shift kits have the same replacment parts as the sure cure, always go with the sure cure parts.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by dblj16380
I just put the Transgo JR kit in my truck and it was relatively easy to install. I only had to drill 1 new hole and open up like 3 to a bigger size, then there was a spot you had to file a little bit and then replace the manual valve and a couple of springs. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but it should work great.

One suggestion when tearing into the valve body is to beware of the check ball locations. There are about 8-9 total in the valve body and if you aren't careful they can go bouncing across the garage. Make sure to have a clean work area and lay down like a towel or something in case they fall out, they should just lay on the towel rather than take a bounce.
good tip! Thanks.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
transguy37
Professional

If you use the Sonnax sure cure kit, you won't have to take the VB apart to install it. You won't have to worry about the check *****. On an 01 there are 10 check *****.

Quick Reply: Sonnax Sure cure and Transgo ?'s