2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm done with mudding (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:51 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm done with mudding (pics)

After camping at the state park for the night me and a bud decided to take the back roads home. We ended up on a seasonal road that I've been down many times before, but never after the heavy rains like we've been getting around here lately. I came to this puddle/river thing...

and it looked pretty innocent to me, but we decided to stick test the depth anyway. I walked away for a few minutes and trusted my buddy to depth test it for me (big mistake). He assured me that I would have no problem making it through, after all, "it was only a foot deep at the most". I figured my 5.9l 4x4 with a 2.5" lift and off road tires could make it through. So I put it in 4 wheel just to be safe, and dove in...literally. The passenger side of the truck sunk in about a foot above the bottom of the door and the fog lights were under water. Awesome, just what I needed. I attempted to rock the truck out, and it was going well until the rear axle got hung up. So I decided to take some pics while I waited for another friend to come with his truck.

dang, look at that beast flex!

A couple of my buds came with a 3/4ton Chevy Silverado and a few minutes later I was out. Only damage was the front bumper got hung up on something and it got pulled out a little, and now my CEL is on (probably because it didn't like all the extra back pressure while the tailpipe was underwater) Drove 20 miles home without any trouble at all.

But anyway, lessons learned...open differentials suck, 2.5" of lift doesn't mean squat, don't go mudding with only 1 truck, and don't trust anybody but yourself when it comes to depth testing a mud hole. I'm done with doing this kinda stuff for a while, it could have ended a whole lot worse than it did.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How hard did you hit it? Or did you just drive in?
Ps u need to edit yr sing now "If you're not livin' on the edge, you're taking up too much space." I think you should change that.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's still accurate. He plans to live on the edge now.......on the edge of the mud holes instead of in them.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Lol good call sliver!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:10 PM
CSXfan
All Star

I just drove in, but as soon as it started sinking I put it to the floor. Needless to say that didn't help at all. I think I'm gonna leave my sig the way it is, I'm sure before the day is done I'll find something else stupid and reckless to do

Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Until you've actually had to dig yourself out with a shovel you don't know what bad is lol.

Just check your differentials for water, and maybe the tranny fluid. Mine never seem to take in any but I know that they can.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:20 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CSXfan
(edited for content)
But anyway, lessons learned...don't go mudding with only 1 truck, and don't trust anybody but yourself when it comes to depth testing a mud hole. I'm done with doing this kinda stuff for a while, it could have ended a whole lot worse than it did.
Well, since you only violated the first two but probably the most important two rules of "off roading" you should consider yourself lucky, and that you may have used all your "free passes". Silly kids!

Last edited by dsertdog56; 05-29-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Oh yeah, probably want to take your carpet out too (easier way to dry it) and sop up any water that pay by pooled on your floor boards.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:31 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Yeah I'm gonna go over the whole truck tonight after work. I left the drivers side window cracked when they where pullin me out and the inside of the door got soaked. Now my drivers window won't go down, and the power locks only unlock. Crap. No water got in through the weather stripping on the bottom of the door, so I think I should be okay there.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

without lockers you can't just mosey on into a water hole like that, you gotta hit it full speed. if you were doing like 30 or 40 when you hit it and didn't let off the gas you should have been able to get through it.

Quick Reply: I'm done with mudding (pics)