2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Freeze plug sizes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Fifthwheelin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze plug sizes

New guy here. First Dodge, its a 99 2500 gas job. I was crawling around under it to replace a gas tank strap and found a coolant drip from the bellhousing rock guard. Looks like its a freeze plug on the back of the motor.

I plan on pulling the transmission this friday and doing the plugs on the back of the motor. From using the search i found a downloadable FSM (thanks to the merry christmas thread), and a picture of the back of a 5.9 block with 2 freeze plugs, indicated as 1-5/8 and 1-1/4"

I would like some confirmation on those sizes as thats all I bought for freeze plugs, the store didnt have a dodge 5.9l kit (advance auto) I'll try other stores anyways before then but If someone has done this and can confirm the sizes are correct/incorrect that would be great.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

The manual here is for a 2001... but, the engines did not change from 99 to 01... You should be golden.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Fifthwheelin
Rookie

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-clarify.html

thats the thread with the sizes.

FYI the manual did not discuss freeze plug sizes, its very nice to have in searchable PDF form. I'm sure I got some late 98 motor installed in a 99 truck due to some serial number break, thats usually how my luck goes. I havent peeked into the intake yet, or looked at the computer (just got the truck) so one thing at a time I guess.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe those are the sizes that I used but it was over a year ago so I am not sure. All magnum 5.2L and 5.9L have the same freeze plug sizes so don't worry about year. I would even bet that the LA motors have the same freeze plugs.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
I believe those are the sizes that I used but it was over a year ago so I am not sure. All magnum 5.2L and 5.9L have the same freeze plug sizes so don't worry about year. I would even bet that the LA motors have the same freeze plugs.
That's pretty accurate. I just replaced one on the side of the block and it was a 1.625 (1 5/8) I couldn't believe how many auto parts stores tried giving me a 1 1/4 though.

The Dorman number is 555-030. bubble paks are 555.030.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Fifthwheelin
Rookie

acording to the link I posted and the picture, the 5.2 and the 5.9L use differnt size freeze plugs. Yet you Gerehead8 just said that they both use the same size, and dsertdog just said its pretty acurate.

I know I'm new here, but not to forums so I know advice is worth what you pay for it. Your guys advice falls under the "priceless" category.

I have good reason to believe the other thread is acurate I just wanted to make sure before dropping the tranny, so as to minimize the down time.

Unless somebody pops in and says 1-5/8 and 1-1/4 are not the correct sizes for a 5.9 gas, I'm going with what I've got.

Quick Reply: Freeze plug sizes