2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gutting your cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts
Default Gutting your cat

How did you do it? Can it be done in place? I would hate to have to cut it out then get it welded back in, might as well have a new one installed if I have to do that. Mine is rattling. I don't want to replace it but I have to keep it installed for emissions inspection.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM
01dango4x4
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont want to gut your cat. Best thisg to do is to completely do away with it or put a new one on. A new one can be had for about $70 for a magnaflow high flow from advance auto

Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut mine out the other day. Not really anyway to gut it completely in place, you'll have to at very least cut one end, not much room to work though.

I'm welding in straight pipe to replace mine.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you say that you need it for emissions inspection...well if you have a true emissions inspection done, then you'll need your CAT there. and more than just looks. real emissions inspections actually take readings from your tail pipe. good luck passing one with a hollowed out cat. or no cat.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't do it. i recently did it and it sounded like ****. like it had an expansion chamber from a motorcycle.

by the way, an intact cat is worth $75 vs 7 pounds of loose cat honeycomb is only worth $49. sellyourcatsdirect.com

if you insist on it anyway, get a 2-1/2 inch diameter butt joint clamp. its 3 inches long. unplug, remove, and label both O2 sensors. using a drill with a wire brush, clean the pipe behind the cat of all rust, mud, scale. mark the 3 inch area and then the center of that. using a sawsall, cut the pipe. unhook the muffler from the hangers and move it completely out of the way.

get 2 or 3 pans to catch ALL the honeycomb. its worth $50.

using a 1 and 3 pound hammer and a series of long screwdrivers and chisels, start banging away. the ceramic is tough, and you must break out small pieces or dust that will come out the outlet pipe. large chunks won't come out and you have to pry and smash them smaller. hammer/twist, hammer/twist, repeat 1000 times. recover/keep all honeycomb. at the end, crank the truck and blow out any remaining dust. CEL will come on with no O2's. reinstall everything, reset PCM, and drive on.

O2 connector tip. slide the RED tape back. squeeze down on the top where the red tab was and pull apart. don't force it. if you're doing it right, it comes apart easily.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's an alternative.

cut the cat out (with both O2 bungs) and weld a 3 hole flange on each end.
weld a 3 hole flange on the end of each pipe so it can be reinstalled.
make a test pipe about 16" long with a 3 hole flange on each end, with O2 bungs.

run the one of your choice.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
here's an alternative.

cut the cat out (with both O2 bungs) and weld a 3 hole flange on each end.
weld a 3 hole flange on the end of each pipe so it can be reinstalled.
make a test pipe about 16" long with a 3 hole flange on each end, with O2 bungs.

run the one of your choice.
perfect that way he can run the straight pipe when he's not due for an emissions, and then swap over when its due. lol

Old 09-29-2012, 12:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

They don't sniff the tailpipe. They do a visual and check for codes. I know I can but a new I've pretty cheap but then I gotta pay top have it installed.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:53 PM
ss/tram97
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gutted mine to di it you have to cut the pipe right behind the cat and reweld it dont do it its really not worth it the only reason i did it was because my cat clogged and as soon i can afford a new one i will be replacing it

Old 09-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with gutting the cat?

My eastern high flow cat broke apart after a year so I unclamped the cat knocked the two pieces of honeycomb out. Then threw it away because I forgot I could sell it...

The exhaust sounds basically the same as it did when the cat was intact.

Quick Reply: Gutting your cat