2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I fixed my broken dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM
trip94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I fixed my broken dash

I recently purchased a 1996 Ram 1500. Needs a lot of work but cant spend a lot of money right now. I just started fixing some things that didn't require money. The PO didn't take very good care of it and was using it to go go mud bogging. It was even caked with mud under the hood. I cleaned as much as i could for now until i can get a pressure washer to finish. Anyway i started cleaning the inside which was in sad shape. After a lot of cleaning, it started looking pretty good except for the broken up dash. Pieces were all over inside the truck.I decided to see how much of it i could find and try to glue it back together. Found all but one piece. I figured if i could glue it together that i would have a base for a dash mat or something. I got it all patched up and it ended up being pretty solid. Instead of waiting to get a dash mat , I thought I'd try something that my daughter uses on floors and walls and other decorating items. I didn't plan on taking pics at first so the pics star after i was already into it a way. You will get the idea though and probably improve on it. I have no doubt that if i ever need to remove the dash that it will come out in one piece because its really solid now.
I'm going to try to put a link to my Photobucket album which will explain it more.Any one interested or any questions and I'll do the best i can to answer.
PS:
I couldn't use trip94 on Photobucket because it was used by someone else so i used trip96.
http://s1291.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Dash%20Fix/

Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Just a tip, but pressure washers are too strong for electrical connections and other components under the hood. I recommend garden hose pressure. At least cover up everything electrical and sensitive and get a tube of dielectric grease for any connectors you happen to hit.

Other than that, looks like an interesting dash repair approach for sure. And can't beat the price!

Post up some pics of everything assembled if you can.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
ZeroZero3
Professional

Nice job!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

What is that "stuff" on it? I have one crack on my 98, so far, and was going to use the cheapest rhynoliner bed coating I could find before it got any worse. But, I like the look of that.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

p.s. My son spilled several large mugs of coffee and soda on my carpet about 3 years ago and I used a 1 gallon sprayer with a mix of house carpet cleaning shampoo mixed with a tiny bit of dish detergent and a Shop Vac and after spraying and vacuuming with the shampoo, I rinsed with clean water and vacuumed it pretty close to dry and my carpet looks like new again and no musty or moldy smells either.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats pretty damn sweet, nice job!! i would never have the patience to do something like that. kudos to you man!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
greanbeans
Rookie

What stuff did you use to fix that dash cause it looks good

Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Hylander7
Professional

That looks Great

Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM
trip94
Smile Heads up on Photobucket pics.

Just in case anyone overlooked it, There are 2 pages of pics of my dash on Photobucket. There are a total of 41 pics. Scroll down below each picture and there is a description of each picture of how its done.
Picture 35 shows a decent view of it completed. I hav'nt figured out how to post pictures from my pc yet.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are viewing your photo album in photobucket, simply put the mouse cursor over the picture and click img code it will auto copy it for you, then paste CTRL V to paste the link in a thread.

Quick Reply: I fixed my broken dash