2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Misses on 96

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:00 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Misses on 96

My 96 5.2L 1500 4x2 Ram has started to miss at completely random intervals. It has happened going down the highway 3 times and sitting in a parking lot 1 time. It will miss for about 5-10 seconds, then quit. Today it started missing while my wife was driving it and she said the problem did not go away after 5-10 seconds. She was close to home and drove it to the house. Of course when I got home, it ran fine. I have replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. I thought that it might be a fuel pump starting to go out or a clogged filter but the fuel pressure is 46 psi at idle. The air filter is new also. THE CEL light does not come on and there are no codes in the ODBII. I know posting the problem here is a long shot but anyone have any ideas????

Thanks,
Bob

Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 AM
94 red ram
Default RE: Engine Misses on 96

it maybe your coil try and take your coil off and clean it to make sure it has a goood ground , if that doesnt work you have a bad wire sime were to the coil or to your injectors

Old 02-09-2007, 03:55 PM
toyhauler

I have the same problem. Its been missing for the last two years on and off. Havent been able to get rid of it. Tried new cap rotor wires plugs ect. Still there. The next step is to put an MSD 6 and a coil and see if that fixes it. I also use premium fuel it seems to make it a bt better. It pings like a bastard if I use regular fuel. Sorry I cant help but if you figure out what fixes it let me know

Old 02-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try adjusting the gap in your plugs.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could beelectrical connectors to your injectors. I had to replace them on my 96 2yrs ago cause of misfires. Went from the odd stumble to running like real crap on the odd occassion then fine again. It was like I was down a cylinder or two. Try wiggling the connectors while its running and listen for slight variations in rpms. If an injector cuts out it will drop the idle about 50rpms. Disconnecting an injector from the harness you can plug in an injector test light. With it at idle the light should flash at set intervals. If it skips an interval you will see it and know that clip needs replacing. Could also be a broken wire in the harness to the connector or worse case senario the pcm. When I replaced mine I used MSD injector clips. 1/2 the price of the stock clips and have a wire lock system to make sure they stay seated properly. Plastic detents on the stock ons can wear and cause them not to make proper contact as well.

Quick Reply: Engine Misses on 96